P0440 code set

I've had a P0440 code set on my 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 for the past few months. I reset it with my code reader and will be fine for a few drives, but then will come on when I start the truck. I twisted the cap more than the three recommended clicks with no luck several times. I bought a new fuel tank cap at the dealer for $13 and am waiting to see if the codes come back...so far so good. Any further advice?

The solenoid could also have something stuck in it, but is pain in butt just pull and check, its up inbetween the cab and the bed. Mine had what looked like a piece of carbon in it keeping if from closing.

Well, not sure it is the evap solenoid or not, but my code hasn't come back yet (knock on wood) since replacing the cap. It would have set by now if it was the same problem, and I figured I'd go with the "most likely" and cheapest fix first.

Well, not sure it is the evap solenoid or not, but my code hasn't come back yet (knock on wood) since replacing the cap. It would have set by now if it was the same problem, and I figured I'd go with the "most likely" and cheapest fix first.

What is your fuel level at? The ECU dosen't run an evap test untill the fuel level is around half a tank. But, hopefully the new cap fixed the problem.

ARRRGGHHHH!!!! :cheers:

I Jinxed myself by saying that it was probably fixed! I got the light today when I started my truck when I left work. Yes, there is about a half tank of gas....So, I guess I should check/try to replace the vent valve first? All the lines look good.

ARRRGGHHHH!!!!  :cheers:

I Jinxed myself by saying that it was probably fixed! I got the light today when I started my truck when I left work. Yes, there is about a half tank of gas....So, I guess I should check/try to replace the vent valve first? All the lines look good.

I'll get you the part #.

Archived