Where to rebuild transmission??

Alright guys, here is the deal... my transmission is shot and it needs to be rebuilt. I caught it early but who knows if that is going to save me any money.

I have some questions:

1) Where is the best place to go? Chevy dealership or local shop

2) What is the best warranty?

3) Should I go with OEM parts or try to upgrade?

4) I am going to be doing some light towing this summer, should I get the aux trans cooler installed?

Thanks guys

get a gm rebuild, 3 year warranty.

Absolutely agree with this. I think they have upped the warranty to 5 years but can not be sure. GM rebuild is the way to go. Warranty is honored. I know, I have done warranty work on them. No questions asked. And it can be done at any GM dealer. I just done understand why so many people are scared of a dealer.

I agree with the folks about using a GM factory rebuilt unit. While you're doing this, add the factory auxilary transmission cooler system. You can get it from any GM parts counter, the part number is 12497071. This includes hoses, couplers, coolers, everything you need to add the factory aux. cooler to your tranny.

2nd the GM rebuild  factory warranty is the best.

you may also want to look into GMpartsdirect and see how much a new one is.  on my Jeep, the cost difference between new and rebuilt was like $300.

Thanks everyone.

i think i am going to go with the rebuilt one from GM. Now I just have to find the best price. Also, what's the difference between the 4L60E and the 4L70E?

anyway to put a 5 speed or 6 speed auto in the truck?? That would be cool and worth some extra money.

700R4 > 4L60E > 4L65E (slight build up) > 4L70E (built up more)

700R4/4L60E are basically identical, the "E" starts the full computer control of shift points and lockup

The 6L80E (6 speed) most likely has different "computer speak" to control it.

Until the "brave" with some $ has done a 4LxxE swap to a 6L80E this will be a small unknown. But if this ends up a bolt and spin with maybe just a tailhousing change, GM better ramp up the production on the 6L80E quite a bit.

Archived