Driverside Headliner Microphone/Speaker

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD, OnStar no Bose with 70k miles. Just recently I am hearing a noise coming from the small plastic mesh grill above the driver seat (on the headliner). I am not sure if it's a speaker or microphone. I'm assuming it's used with the OnStar system, I may be wrong.

Anyways, it makes a noise when the car first starts up. At first I thought it was a rattle. When the car warms up it goes away but I think it's still there just not that loud. It sounds like electrical noise from the engine. Actually, I don't even have to start the engine the ignition could be in the ON position and you could hear it. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what is this device and how can I resolve the issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban also with OnStar. I also hear a strange noise from the mesh Speaker/Michrophone(?) in the headliner. It is usually more noticible when I am making turns. I too thought is was part of the OnStar system (but it could be for something else). If anyone knows what it is or what can be done, let me know.

The 'speaker/microphone' is actually part of the electronic climic control and contains a small fan. That's the niose you're hearing.

I had to get mine replaced in my 2002 within the first year. Since then, it's been queit.

argh...shouldn't have said that...bet ya it'll act up today!

As said before,Its part of the automatic climate control system (RPO Option code "CJ2")

Only trucks with the automatic climate control system have one.

It has nothing to do with the On-Star system.

Its correct name,according to GM,Is..."Aspirator,Inside Air Temperature Sensor"

Archived