2005 Sierra 1500 front diff

Okay, I have had my '05 z71 Sierra 1500 for 8 months now. Has 15000km on it, or about 9500 miles.

So far, so good. Runs great, mileage has become excellent (was horrible when new) and I don't really have many issues, except:

1. The front diff started leaking. I wonder if it's just the vent, or is it really leaking bad. It's not any of the seals (input/outputs). I'll let the warranty sort it out.

2. Sometimes you can smell antifreeze. I expect this is just burping out the reservoir tank, the level seems fine.

3. I really think the use of plastic is excessive. It would have really been nice if the back seat was leather also and not vinyl. I don't have to sit back there, but it still really bugs me. Overall I like the truck but was expecting a bit more quality materials inside the cab.

Still a good truck. Am waiting for Rough Country to come out with the 4" lift that requires no cutting.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the front diff let me know.

:cheers:

Marko in Fernie, BC

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I have had my '05 z71 Sierra 1500 for 8 months now.  Has 15000km on it, or about 9500 miles. 

So far, so good.  Runs great, mileage has become excellent (was horrible when new) and I don't really have many issues, except:

1.  The front diff started leaking.  I wonder if it's just the vent, or is it really leaking bad.  It's not any of the seals (input/outputs).  I'll let the warranty sort it out.

2.  Sometimes you can smell antifreeze.  I expect this is just burping out the reservoir tank, the level seems fine.

3.  I really think the use of plastic is excessive.  It would have really been nice if the back seat was leather also and not vinyl.  I don't have to sit back there, but it still really bugs me.  Overall I like the truck but was expecting a bit more quality materials inside the cab. 

Still a good truck.  Am waiting for Rough Country to come out with the 4" lift that requires no cutting. 

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the front diff let me know. 

:sigh:

Marko in Fernie, BC

Well, good news! It was the block heater, leaking all over the diff! I wondered why the stain on my driveway didn't stink...

Anyway, the dealer repaired it under warranty, no charge at all. I'm a happy camper.

Marko

Did they replace all the antifreeze? If it ran "low" for a while that means there was air in the system. Have them check the additive package in the anti freeze to make sure it's not depleted.

Did they replace all the antifreeze?  If it ran "low" for a while that means there was air in the system.  Have them check the additive package in the anti freeze to make sure it's not depleted.

Wwwilll dddo mmmikkke.

Thththannnkkksss!

Archived