I happened upon an accident today in which an elderly woman ran off the road and hit a boulder at 60mph, she was critical at the scene, I hit my OnStar Emergency button to call it in. I ended up leaving her alone and pinned in the car to drive 1/2 mile before I could contact OnStar :cheers: ....as it turned out, I've heard that she died on the scene before help arrived....thanks OnStar. What scares me the most is, I travel this road everyday late at night, suppose that were me.....OnStar would have never known that my Air Bags deployed or that I were in an accident.....how long would I have been there before someone found me. OnStar was a major decision in my purchase, and now I have to second guess a $1295 option in my truck and my Wife's Pontiac.....Thanks OnStar.

Not good but I guess you have to remember On Star is only as good as the signal it can receive. I understand it works through a Satelite instead of cell signal but I am not 100% sure of this. Even if it does work through a Satelite, they still do not offer 100% coverage.

I was told by the OnStar operator that it works off a Cell Signal, if I had known that, there is a good chance I wouldn't have spent the $2500 on it in both vehicles. :cheers: . I bet you won't see an OnStar Commercial on this one.

Waste of money. Stick with the cell phones and CBs. Granted the Cell probly wouldnt have worked in this situation either, but a CB works great. I think the state patrol still monitors it and theres the emergency 9 channel. Just my 2 cents

On* uses cell, will call automatically when air bags deploy provided your paying for the service. CB radio calling automatically? CB radio calling when the battery is dead due to an accident? CB radio giving your exact location when you’re slumped over the wheel?

On* uses cell, will call automatically when air bags deploy provided your paying for the service. CB radio calling automatically? CB radio calling when the battery is dead due to an accident? CB radio giving your exact location when you’re slumped over the wheel?

Using the CB when you happen upon an accident, when you don't have reception for Onstar.

What he is saying is what good is it for him to have onstar when he doesn't get reception for it where he needs it the most.

Using the CB when you happen upon an accident, when you don't have reception for Onstar.

What he is saying is what good is it for him to have onstar when he doesn't get reception for it where he needs it the most.

My bad, I missed that part thanks to the doc's medication. I thought On* worked everywhere.

My bad, I missed that part thanks to the doc's medication. I thought On* worked everywhere.

Mmm, medication... :cheers: ...on second thought, no drinking for you!

that really sucks to hear

Onstar uses Verizon's cell network, and id pay either way, just for the CHANCE that someone could come to my aid faster, but it sounds like this lady prolly wouldnt have made it no matter if you were able to call 2 mins earlier.

How did you pay $1300 for this option on an 06 when it comes with onstar and a free year?

Cell Technology dont mean crap if it doesn't get reception to get out TO. And what are the chances your battery is dead? Very rarely, and I do mean RARELY do I see a vehicle that has been involved in an accident that the battery is NOT operational. You have better luck with a CB and/or cell phone than you do OnStar. Until they find a better way of providing service to the "boonies" where signal reception isn't the greatest.

EXACTLY! :cheers: I knew what I meant, why didnt you? Just kidding. Running on a few hours of sleep :P

How did you pay $1300 for this option on an 06 when it comes with onstar and a free year?
....It's a $1295 option with the first year of service free

but it sounds like this lady prolly wouldnt have made it no matter if you were able to call 2 mins earlier.
....maybe not....but what if that were me at 11:30pm swerving to miss a Deer and slamming into the rocks

Archived