In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Odometer Rip-off? What Do You Think? 2001 K1500, 4.8 Engine

Well, the truck was bought used last year with 110 000 km (thats roughly 65 000 miles) on it. A year later, with no abuse and little milleage,here is the results:

The front end is shot (upper and lower ball jints, inner and outer tie-rods); Ok thats possible, unlucky maybe...

The intake gasket is shot the fuel milleage is terriblem the engine overheats; hmm, very unlucky...

The timing chain is shot; hmm, this is more than a coincidence to me!!!

By the way, when I remove the ball joint on the driver's side, it was clear that someone had replaced them before and use a grinder on the suspension arm (minor but obvious grinder marks).

Each of these symptoms does not necesseraly means that someone has tampered the odometer...

But all together?

How much milleage would you expect before changing the timing chain on that 4.8 liters engine?

What say you?

What say you?

WOW

Ball joints and tie rods at well under 100k? Possible if the truck was worked hard or drove on really bad roads a LOT. But...For a SECOND time? I can't see that.

Intake gaskets from what I read in here and on the web do happen so that seems at least possible but I thought it was only on the 4.3 - 5.7 engines that had the issue.

Timing chain? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong here but that is usually a 150K item isn't it? I know it traditionally has been.

Sure doesn't sound like a truck with 65K on it... maybe 165K

Anybody else?

What say you?

WOW

Ball joints and tie rods at well under 100k? Possible if the truck was worked hard or drove on really bad roads a LOT. But...For a SECOND time? I can't see that.

Intake gaskets from what I read in here and on the web do happen so that seems at least possible but I thought it was only on the 4.3 - 5.7 engines that had the issue.

Timing chain? Somebody please correct me if I am wrong here but that is usually a 150K item isn't it? I know it traditionally has been.

Anybody else?

I believe on the Gen III motors, the timing chain is lifetime.

Even if they coul change the mileage, did they change in in the BCM and ECM? It stored there as well.

They COULD have changed the cluster which would change the miles you see. You can tell the difference between a vehicle that has 60 thousand and one that has 150 just by looking at its condition. Might not have been well maintained, but I swear my intake gasket is bad, there is some oil residue on teh top of my motor and i hear a whistling with the stock intake in.

What say you?

WOW

Anybody else?

I believe on the Gen III motors, the timing chain is lifetime.

Even if they coul change the mileage, did they change in in the BCM and ECM? It stored there as well.

Milage is ONLY stored in the cluster. I have seen a print out of every thing thats in the BCM and milage isn't one of them. And before someone comes on with well I have a friend that knows someone who installs car radios and says that milage in stored in 6 different places. In 2004 I worked in a GMC dealership. This milage question came up a lot. A 30 year tech ran a print out of every system that milage could be stored in and guess what, Its only stored in the cluster on full size trucks.

have a great day,

Don

Well, the truck was bought used last year with 110 000 km (thats roughly 65 000 miles) on it. A year later, with no abuse and little milleage,here is the results:

The front end is shot (upper and lower ball jints, inner and outer tie-rods); Ok thats possible, unlucky maybe...

The intake gasket is shot the fuel milleage is terriblem the engine overheats; hmm, very unlucky...

The timing chain is shot; hmm, this is more than a coincidence to me!!!

By the way, when I remove the ball joint on the driver's side, it was clear that someone had replaced them before and use a grinder on the suspension arm (minor but obvious grinder marks).

Each of these symptoms does not necesseraly means that someone has tampered the odometer...

But all together?

How much milleage would you expect before changing the timing chain on that 4.8 liters engine?

What say you?

Sounds like you bought a truck off of my brother :cheers:

Had the oil changed every 30K at Walmart for $13.99 and drove it over Michigan roads??

My experience with GM trucks (20+ years) says that something is up with that truck. I'd have it gone over by a dealer and then possibly take legal action against the person who sold it to you if found fraudulous.

I would pm stillen that vin and get it checked out to see if there are any inconsistencies with what you thought you bought. If it checks out ok i think it's safe to say that maintenance was not apart of the last owner or owner's vocabulary! These trucks are just not known to have parts like that not last at least 90-100+k unless they never received the proper maintenance!

How many hours are on it, that'll give you a good idea. You can check it by holding down the trip reset without the key in the ignition. It'll display mileage and then engine hours, divide one by the other and it will give you average speed (approx) My old 2002 with 182,000 miles had an average speed of 49 mph, given that I put on all hiway miles that was accurate. A friend who is a delivery driver averages 23 mph, all city driving.

yes , what he said check the engine hours. but on another hand I do know someone that leased trucks and disconnected the cluster on long trips to avoid over charges, I think he has been doing it for years on a 02s 04s with out getting found out, so it can be done

Archived