Amp And Component Speaker Install In 2008 Sierra

Fellas, I recently installed an Alpine MRP-F300 amplifier and a set of Polk DB6501 component speakers in my 2008 Sierra Ext. Cab. I used a PAC OEM-2 adapter to convert the speaker inputs to RCA for the amp. Rather than posting all the pics here, I am adding the link to my album via Picasa. I apologize for the quality of the pics. I have been having a ton of problems with my camera lately. I got pretty detailed so there are a lot of pics.

I first only used the first two channels of the amp which were pushing 50 watts RMS each. I wasn't completely satisfied so I bridged all four channels and am way happier with the volume and power they are getting now.

Hopefully, people will be able to get some use out of my walkthrough. Fire off any questions or comments, if you have any.

Thanks!

http://picasaweb.google.com/noluck7/2008GM...key=9GTMFPiZSLs#

Fellas, I recently installed an Alpine MRP-F300 amplifier and a set of Polk DB6501 component speakers in my 2008 Sierra Ext. Cab. I used a PAC OEM-2 adapter to convert the speaker inputs to RCA for the amp. Rather than posting all the pics here, I am adding the link to my album via Picasa. I apologize for the quality of the pics. I have been having a ton of problems with my camera lately. I got pretty detailed so there are a lot of pics.

I first only used the first two channels of the amp which were pushing 50 watts RMS each. I wasn't completely satisfied so I bridged all four channels and am way happier with the volume and power they are getting now.

Hopefully, people will be able to get some use out of my walkthrough. Fire off any questions or comments, if you have any.

Thanks!

Great step-by-step walkthrough w/ pics.. will definitely be following it when installing my sub later this month :sick:

Couple questions for ya

1. So there's a remote turn on, but it doesn't power off them amp when you turn off your truck? When the signal is cut, the amp should turn off.. (Isn't that why you get a pac adapter vs. a much cheaper line out converter?) From what I've ever heard, and from my own install experience the amp should turn off.

2. How many channels is your line out converter? Was it just 2 channels for the front 2 speakers? I'm looking into the different options that I have for installing my sub.

3. Dude that power wire is huge! Thats gotta be like 0/1 gauge. And your running like 50RMS through it just to your front speakers? I mean definitely no harm goin with big wire but I'm runnin 1000watts through 4 gauge wire, which is pretty common.

But nevatheles great/ clean install man. Congrats

Thanks!

Great step-by-step walkthrough w/ pics.. will definitely be following it when installing my sub later this month :sick:

Couple questions for ya

1. So there's a remote turn on, but it doesn't power off them amp when you turn off your truck? When the signal is cut, the amp should turn off.. (Isn't that why you get a pac adapter vs. a much cheaper line out converter?) From what I've ever heard, and from my own install experience the amp should turn off.

2. How many channels is your line out converter? Was it just 2 channels for the front 2 speakers? I'm looking into the different options that I have for installing my sub.

3. Dude that power wire is huge! Thats gotta be like 0/1 gauge. And your running like 50RMS through it just to your front speakers? I mean definitely no harm goin with big wire but I'm runnin 1000watts through 4 gauge wire, which is pretty common.

Thanks for the comments.

Let me answer your questions and hopefully they will help you when you go to do yours later!

1. The remote turn on wire turns the amp on with the truck and off with the truck. The only thing that would have been better would've been for it to stay on with the accessory power. That isn't a huge deal to me though. I was more concerned with it turning on appropriately and then off with the truck, and it does!

2. The PAC is a 4 channel so I could do my rears if I wanted to, but I am getting such full sound from the fronts, I probably won't ever touch the rears.

3. The power wire is a 4 gauge from the battery to the power dist. block and then 8 gauge to the amp. I wanted to make sure and only do the power once, if I wanted to upgrade in the future. I am now pushing 150 watts RMS to the 2 front speakers because I bridged all 4 channels, so I am also glad I used the nicer Monster speaker wire.

I hope that answers them for ya!

Thanks!

Great step-by-step walkthrough w/ pics.. will definitely be following it when installing my sub later this month :)

Couple questions for ya

Clck here for Recommended Cable Size by Power and Distance

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

Dude, awesome info you have posted here!!! I have looked at your pics as a bible to installing my speakers. I have the same speakers in almost the same truck. I do have one question for you, is there any way that you or someone reading could get me the specs to your amp board you fabricated? I really don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to! THANKS FOR THE POST!!!!!

Thanks for the nice comments. I tried to make everything look decent, although I guess no one really ever sees it. lol

I don't have the specs for the board. I ended up having to re-do it because I added a second amp and then a sub. Here is a pic of the board with both the amps. Sorry I can't be more help. I basically just measured width across and then cut out a notch for the seat belt portion and then accounted for the slant in the bottom of the cab. I know, none of that sounds exact.

gallery_56082_969_21181.jpg

They were super loud. So, I ended up ditching my rear speakers and then tapped into those wires for my PAC adapter. I then bought a $10 speaker from Autozone and used the front left wire for chimes/signals. I just threw it under the steering column and it works great.

Thanks for the updated pic!!!! Is that new pic on your picassa page?

One more question for you... how the hell do you adjust the amps when the seats are back in the truck? Seems like a lot of effort just to make a minor tweak on the amp. Someone in another post said something about cutting the catch on the back of the seats to allow them to fold down. DAMN GM!!!! Why must they make such nice looking trucks and not allow any mods (easy mods that is)?

Archived