2500 Hd Exhaust

new member here, I just picked up a 2002 2500hd 6.0L and I to am having the same issue, cant seem to decide on a good exhaust. I dont want to loud like wake the neighbors loud, has anyone heard anything about the flo pro mufflers, went to a shop today they quoted 340 installed for the flo pro and told me it wouldn't be to loud, kinda talked me out of the flowmaster because of the sound

I was about to ask the same question. I talked to a friend of mine that owns a 4-wheel drive shop that said the only muffler he will install on a 6.0 is a flo pro because of the resedence in the cab the other mufflers will cause. He said there are 3 variations depending on how loud you want. Sounds like flo pro will be the way to go?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I talked to a shop today and they quoted 340 for the exhaust installed, 270 for the muffler, so I shopped around and you can get the flo pro from completeexhaust.com for 154 with free ups shipping and they will weld it up for 60 bucks so 220ish out the door works for me...the 2505 is the loudest then the 2506 is next I am thinking the 2505 will be a little loud but not sure so the 2506 seems to be the best overall bet, they call it a direct replacement of factory, I hope to get it on in the next week or two

I talked to my friend at the shop today and he mentioned he installs more of the 2506 kind for that added sound. I have not heard one yet, but he stated it wasn't obnoxious, just louder when you step on the gas.

Thats the one im going to go with im going to order it from complete exhaust should be by the end of next week, ill post up a review after I get it

I talked to my friend at the shop today and he mentioned he installs more of the 2506 kind for that added sound. I have not heard one yet, but he stated it wasn't obnoxious, just louder when you step on the gas.

Thats the one im going to go with im going to order it from complete exhaust should be by the end of next week, ill post up a review after I get it

I may not have asked the right question yesterday to my friend because when I looked on the completeexhaust website, both the 2505 & 2506 are dual in/dual out. I just looked on my 09, and a "direct replacement" would be single in/single out. I plan on going to dual exhaust so I'll stop back in next week and ask exactly which muffler he plans on using? Maybe he redoes the pipe from the cats to the muffler so it is dual in, I don't know.

All I can say is you get what you pay for. Those clips sound horrible, sorta reminds me of an economy car with a over sized shiny coffee can exahust on it. If you want a decent exhaust that will last you the life of the vehicle, go with Gibson, or a Maganaflow, or another reputable after market exhaust. A Gibson exahust has same size bends unlike the cheaper exhausts you see out there. You also want to go with stainless steal, just like your OEM muffler, this way it will not rot out after 4 years..

I have a dual in/out Flowmaster on my 2500HD with dual pipes out the back and want to go back to stock. Too loud. It's ok at first but after awhile it starts to get annoying. I'm looking for a stock system.

I agree with Terry. I have a 2001 8.1 liter with 3.5 inch duals/high flow cats/twin-in twin-out Flowmaster. It was on the truck when I bought it. It sounds mean but gets annoying after a while, and the highway drone is evermore annoying. I keep the system on the truck only because my redneck wife loves the hell out of it!

Ok, time for my .02

Lots of people here like to bash on flowmaster, and thats fine. But remember that flowmaster has more than just one muffler available. Yes, while the 40 series are loud, there are other series that are not as "rough" souding. I only have the 5.3L with a 40 series flowmaster, mine is pretty quiet at idle, loud on acceleration, and very little drone on the highway. I dont know if my truck is well insulated or what but my flowmaster is quieter then a knock-off that i had on my old dodge. I agree with the statement earlier that the best thing to do is go to shows and hear fisrthand what ppl are using.

I have a dual in/out Flowmaster on my 2500HD with dual pipes out the back and want to go back to stock. Too loud. It's ok at first but after awhile it starts to get annoying. I'm looking for a stock system.

I agree with Terry. I have a 2001 8.1 liter with 3.5 inch duals/high flow cats/twin-in twin-out Flowmaster. It was on the truck when I bought it. It sounds mean but gets annoying after a while, and the highway drone is evermore annoying. I keep the system on the truck only because my redneck wife loves the hell out of it!

Funny, Carol likes it too but as macho as it sounds I prefer to hear the crunching, banging and clunking before the damage gets too bad. Quiet, quiet, quiet - no done regardless of how little and no resonance.

I found the Walker stock replacement muffler with the correct pipe so I will be going that route and dumping this thing.

Edited by terryk

I have dynomax ultra flo ss mufflers on my 1999 6.0l and would not trade the sound or performance for any of the previous mufflers I had on ( flowmaster, magnaflow ). They are the offset inlet and center outlet part number 17289, quiet up to 3000 rpm's with deep powerful sound after 3000 rpm.

I have dynomax ultra flo ss mufflers on my 1999 6.0l and would not trade the sound or performance for any of the previous mufflers I had on ( flowmaster, magnaflow ). They are the offset inlet and center outlet part number 17289, quiet up to 3000 rpm's with deep powerful sound after 3000 rpm.

What performance gain did you see?

What performance gain did you see?

I got .2 seconds reduction on 0-60 on my G-tech meter, this is going from a single large magnaflow 22" case lenght with two 2.5" inlets and one 3.5" outlet to the dual 2.5" Dynomax mufflers. The funny thing is that it's quieter too and a more refined deep sound than a loud raspy sound.