Xfe Owners? Lets Hear From You

Was considering the XFE Sierra/Silverado. Wanted to hear from XFE owners in regard to MPG and overall impressions. I am 90% hwy and when I had my tahoe (rated at 17 hwy) I consistently logged 19-20 mpg. If I could get the XFE to 22-23, I would be in!

Was considering the XFE Sierra/Silverado. Wanted to hear from XFE owners in regard to MPG and overall impressions. I am 90% hwy and when I had my tahoe (rated at 17 hwy) I consistently logged 19-20 mpg. If I could get the XFE to 22-23, I would be in!

I'm not sure there are any XFE owners on here yet. If there are, I haven't heard from them.

But, in my opinion, I don't think the numbers you are after are out of reach. Depending of course on your driving style and area. With my 2007 Crew Cab Vmax I regularly get 19-20 mpg on the highway (best I have ever averaged is 20.9 on about a 120mile trip). This is when I drive for mileage. When I don't care, I get around 16.5-17.5 on the highway. My truck does not like being over 2000 rpm (about 72mph).

So, my point, I think you can get 22+.

I would talk to your dealer and have them let you take one on an over night test drive. You can't get a true feel of a vehicle with a 15-30min drive.

I'm lost...

...XFE?

GM's great advertising at work! HA!

XFE is Extended Fuel Economy. It is an option that boosts fuel economy on Silverado/Sierra from 20hwy to 21. Lower suspension, lower rolling resistance tires, more hwy friendly rear end ratio, aerodynamic mods.

They are also doing XFE versions with some of their other vehicles.

I'm lost...

...XFE?

XFE is Extended Fuel Economy. It is an option that boosts fuel economy on Silverado/Sierra from 20hwy to 21. Lower suspension, lower rolling resistance tires, more hwy friendly rear end ratio, aerodynamic mods.

Thanks for the info. I was always wondering what they were talking about on TV when they said XFE...

Soft tonneau cover (improves aerodynamics)

Extended front lower air dam (improves aerodynamics)

Lowered suspension and revised chassis tuning (improve aerodynamics)

Aluminum lower control arms (reduce mass)

Aluminum spare wheel (reduces mass)

Seventeen-inch aluminum wheels (reduce mass)

Automatic locking rear differential

Trailering package

Low rolling resistance tires

Interesting, I always thought the mileage increase was due to the 6 spd tranny instead of the 4 spd. Does anyone know if the luxury model (SLT?? i think...) that comes with the 6 spd also has the lower ride height or is that just for the xfe alone....

As far as I have heard, and I could call the dealer tomorrow to double check, but the suspension is the same but the XFE model has a different more aerodynamic air dam that makes it appear lower.

Interesting, I always thought the mileage increase was due to the 6 spd tranny instead of the 4 spd.

I'm sure the 6-speed helps as it's the enabler to run the 3.08....the 4-speed would be a slug with that axle, but the 6-speed's gears make up for the lower axle on launch.

I think you can get the 3.08 without the XFE package on some trucks....not sure though. Maybe a bit less benefit when you don't get the alum. bits and the aero help, but I think the XFE is more expensive and limits options, too.

So....after driving 1,000 miles and burning about five tanks (or more) of fuel...at 21mpg vs 20mpg...I will save a GRAND TOTAL (MAYBE) of 2.4 gallons of fuel. (if my math is right) :D

1,000 miles by 20mpg = 50 gallons.

1,000 miles by 21mpg = 47.6 gallons.

At less than 2 bucks a gallon...thats less than five bucks.

DAMN...I gotto go get me one of them things.

Look at all the money I will save every 1000 miles.

Man...I will save close to a buck a tank.

I AM GONNA HELP SAVE THE PLANET from fossil fuel carbon emissions. :cheers::cheers::sigh:

PLUS...in ten years or so..I will save enough to offset the extra cost of the XFE package.

It seems to me like the XFE is a marketing ploy to show that GM "cares about fuel economy". You see it in a lot of their commercials now for different Chevrolet vehicles. If you're looking for real fuel economy in the Silverado/Sierra and are willing to spend the $$, hold out for the Silverado hybrid. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone (I know, that's dangerous to say) but I think that is rated at 20city/20hwy, which is a lot better than 15/21.

Archived