Anyone Dropped In K&n And Seen Better Mpg?

I am on the interstates constantly and looking to better my mileage. Currently getting in the 18's. Highest so far was 19.1

2009 1500 2wd 5.3 6spd

I thought being 90% hwy, I could get 20. Doesn't look like it. Was thinking of getting the K&N to help and was wondering if anyone has done just the drop in filter and seen any difference at all?

Thanks!

Never been one to really pay that close attention to my MPG...not a selling point for me when I purchased the truck! :thumbs:

However, I did notice better performance/accelation from 0 to -.

If cost is an issue, maybe the new fram filters offer the same performance? I know they are cheaper.

I have installed K&N filters in 5 of my vehicles and have had no issues and did notice performance gains at the pedal.

Never been one to really pay that close attention to my MPG...not a selling point for me when I purchased the truck! :thumbs:

However, I did notice better performance/accelation from 0 to -.

If cost is an issue, maybe the new fram filters offer the same performance? I know they are cheaper.

I have installed K&N filters in 5 of my vehicles and have had no issues and did notice performance gains at the pedal.

Thanks. I have always beat the EPA ratings on my vehicles, I am just trying to get this truck to the ratings.

I've run K&N filters in all of mine but never seen any MPG gains.

You'll get 18 or so... just like the rest of us. You may sneak up on 19 plus in perfect conditions and under 65 mph.

Save your money and put in new filters more often. I have yet to find a stock engine that draws a vacuum on a stock air box. The truck air filters and boxes are capable of flowing more air than the engine will consume. K&N's flow more because they filter less but then when clogged up with some dust they flow less than new.

I would only use a K&N if I had an engine that required more air than any practical air box could flow and I would hunt high and low before I made that decision.

I am on the interstates constantly and looking to better my mileage. Currently getting in the 18's. Highest so far was 19.1

2009 1500 2wd 5.3 6spd

I thought being 90% hwy, I could get 20. Doesn't look like it. Was thinking of getting the K&N to help and was wondering if anyone has done just the drop in filter and seen any difference at all?

Thanks!

Just went thru one tank of gas with the K&N drop in filter.

Got 16.0 mpg with it instead of my normal 15.9 mpg :crackup:

2008 GMC 1500 4x4 5.3L 4:10 rear end.

I put on in my 09 the week I picked it up and have been pleased. My first tank with around town driving was almost 21mpg and I get about 17-18 in traffic commuting so I am really happy. Last weekend took a drive into the hill country and got almost 21 again. I have used K&N filters for years in all of my rides and saw the biggest increase in my Toyota with an instant 3-5mpg increase over the stock filters. Driving habits also play alot into these factors too. I have a Scanguage that has helped 10 times over with monitoring your mpgs amoung other things.

2009 1500 2wd 5.3 6spd

Thanks!

How many miles you have on it now? Give it a chance as the more miles you rack up the better the mpg will get.

Archived