Product Review Mcgard Tailgate Lock

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buzzardbowler

buzzardbowler

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

I had an experience I will not soon forget. I walked out one morning to find my (locked) tailgate missing off my 2010 Silverado. After spending $500 for my deductible and 3 weeks waiting to get a replacement, I found something that is so simple, it is pretty amazing. McGard makes a tailgate lock (item #76029) McGard Tailgate Lock that goes around the right side hinge. It took me all of 3 minutes to install mine, and seems to be operating fine. It is out of the way, and takes about 3 minutes to uninstall, should I need to remove the tailgate. I got mine on ebay for about $25 after shipping.

I knew they made reliable locking lug nuts, but this is truly as genius as it is simple. With the same technology as the wheel lock, you have a computer-generated key that removes the tailgate lock.

The guy at the body shop said that although mine was locked, it can be defeated it someone breaks the housing around the lock and handle. I don't know if it will keep mine from walking off again, but I feel better about my chances.

Attached Files

#2 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,486 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Neat concept. Just ordered mine. Never liked hose clamps or the metal locks that might damage paint. And sadly yes, the lock will only stop the most casual shitbags. I think all it does is move the linkage away from a hook on the handle.

#3 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,486 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

It came from Summit today. Looks like it ought to keep my tailgate there. I decided to leave the key unlocked so someone looking to grab it won't smash out the trim to disable the lock only to see the strap in place.

#4 Z71_Denali

Z71_Denali

Enthusiast

• 858 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra Z71 Denali

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

i'm going to order one right now! although i will be keeping my stock lock locked, to deter people from stealing my backup camera.

Formerly Known as 2010TexasEdition

#5 waumo1

waumo1

Enthusiast

• 594 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:2011 Sierra SLT Ext Cab LB 5.3L

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

Just ordered one. Nice find !
2011 Sierra SLT Ext Cab 4x4 Z71
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2010 Jeep GC SRT8
69 Pontiac GP Model J 428

#6 M. Cueva

M. Cueva

M. Cueva

• Tech Wiki Editor
  • 9,010 posts
  • Drives:2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

I like the metal hook with a mcgard keyed screw....i would have to get pics of my setup

Slade_zpsfd1fdb0c.jpg

My Truck:
2006 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 Vortec
See my website for Customizations/Upgrades: Silverado Upgrades/Changes
"Based on Intel's dramatic sales warning Wednesday, you might expect rival Advanced Micro Devices to just crawl into a hole and die."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users