Remote Start

I have a 2004 silverado and plan on purchasing a remote start kit and installing before winter. I was wanting to know if anyone had any ideas wheres the best place to purchase,best brands etc. and how difficult the installation will be. thanks in advance for any help.

Just installed the 5901 today and I love it. I would recommend any of the DEI brands (python, viper, clifford). You'll need an interface module check www.xpresskit.com to see which is needed. I was a professional installer for three years and a remote start install takes me the better part of day. If you take your time you can get it done over a few days. Try to get wiring information printed out for you from your local install shop. If you have specific question pm me.

I install for a living and I completely agree with all above. Any DEI piece is going to work well. If you are looking for a good remote start with keyless entry consider the Viper 5101 if you want to add an alarm as well definitly go with the Viper 5901. Install technique is very important to a good install and you will need, and know how to use, a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM). I have an '05 Silverado, the wiring is the same for '04. I used a DEI XK01 Bypass Module. The nice thing about the XK01 is will have the ability to add window roll up by simply wiring in a relay. You will also need a second relay to feed your second accessory wire. If you have any questions or need any help feel free to to give me a shout.

Here is the wiring information for your truck:

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - CHEVROLET / SILVERADO / 2004 / Remote Start

12volts red (x2) + ignition harness

Starter yellow + ignition harness

Second Starter N/A

Ignition pink + ignition harness

Second Ignition white + ignition harness

Notes: To avoid the check engine light from coming on and possible damage to the automatic transmission, the second ignition in this vehicle MUST be powered when adding a remote start system.

Third Ignition N/A

Accessory orange + ignition harness

Second Accessory brown + ignition harness

Keysense lt. green - ignition harness

Power Lock use 457G or 456G module

Notes: If Directed module 457G or 456G is not available, refer to DirectFax document 1601.

On base model trucks, the 457G or 456G is not necessary. Instead, the lock wire is lt. blue (-), pin B5, and the unlock wire is white (-), pin B10. They are in the lt. blue plug at the BCM.

Power Unlock see power lock

Lock Motor gray 5wi driver door module in door

Unlock Motor tan 5wi driver door module in door

Parking Lights+ brown + driver kick panel

Parking Lights- gray/black - BCM, brown plug, pin B2

Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.

Hazards white - steering column, 5 pin plug

Turn Signal(L) dk. green + steering column, 5 pin plug

Turn Signal® lt. green + steering column, 5 pin plug

Reverse Light lt. green + BCM, black plug, pin F

Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.

Door Trigger gray/blk (L), black/wht ® - each door module in each door

Notes: On base model trucks the door trigger wires are in the lt. blue plug at the BCM, pins B4 and A5. On 4dr trucks the LR door trigger is lt. blue/black, pin A3, and the RR is lt. green/black, pin A2. They are in the purple plug at the BCM. Use all wires and diode isolate.

The BCM (Body Control Module) is under the driver side dash. It has 6 plugs in it, the purple plug is on the back.

Dome Supervision gray/black + BCM, black plug, pin E

Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A

Hood Pin N/A

Trunk/Hatch Release N/A

Power Sliding Door N/A

Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock

Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green - driver door module in door

Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm

Tachometer white ac instrument cluster, pin A5 or PCM

Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud. The tach wire is in the green plug, pin 10.

For tach can also go to any of the ignition coils or injectors and use the wire that is NOT pink, black, or brown.

Wait to start dk. blue - instrument cluster, pin A2 or PCM

Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud. The wait to start wire is in the green plug, pin 36.

Brake Wire white + brake pedal switch

Parking Brake lt. blue - BCM, lt. blue plug, pin A7

Horn Trigger black/yellow to black - steering column

Memory Seat 1 red + driver door module in door

Memory Seat 2 pink + driver door module in door

Memory Seat 3 N/A +

Interface Module: Category:

Immobilizer Bypass Required:

Yes Type:

Passlock II

Part #: 555LW

Alternate Part1 #: 555T

Notes: Not required if using the combo interface module.

The Passlock II wire colors are yellow, black, and red/white (not used).

Door Lock Interface Required:

Yes Type:

Data Bus

Part #: 456G

Notes: Not required if using the combo interface module.

Combo Interface Required:

Yes Type:

Data Bus

Part #: 457GW

Notes:

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.

Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

• 1 month later...

Sinkhole,

I need help wiring the heavy gauge 10-pin harness in my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. I was going to try to install it yesterday. I wish I would have because someone broke into my truck, my roommates truck, and his girlfriends car last night. From the manual:

Heavy Gauge, 10-pin connector

There are 9 heavy gauge wires coming from the large 10-pin connector. They are used to energize the ignition circuits in the vehicle. It is crucial to ensure that these connections are capable of handling the current demands. For this reason, Scotch-Locks, T-taps and other such connectors are strongly discouraged.

H3/1 PINK IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT

Connect this wire to the ignition wire in the vehicle. This wire not only supplies voltage for the ignition line in the vehicle, it is also the ignition feed for the security system.

H3/2 RED/WHITE (+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 2 / FLEX RELAY INPUT 87

This wire is the polarity feed for the ignition 2/flex relay.

H3/3 ORANGE ACCESSORY OUTPUT

Connect this wire to the accessory wire that powers the climate control system.

H3/4 VIOLET STARTER OUTPUT

This wire hooks up to the starter side of the starter wire in the car. This wire is also pin 30 of the onboard starter kill relay.

H3/5 GREEN STARTER INPUT

After cutting the starter wire connect the GREEN wire to the end going to the ignition switch. This wire is pin 87a of the onboard starter kill relay.

H3/6 RED (+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 1 RELAY INPUT

This wire is the polarity feed for the Ignition1 relay.

H3/7 PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY OUTPUT

This wire is factory programmed as Ignition 2 and can be programmed as a

2nd accessory or as a 2nd starter.

H3/8 PINK/BLACK 87a OF IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY

This wire is used when an ignition switch isolation on the vehicle is necessary This is common on Toyota and Nissan's which require the use of Tech Tip document

#1077. (See Menu #3, Feature #8, for programming options)

H3/9 RED/BLACK (+) (30A) FUSED ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY INPUT

This wire is the polarity feed to the accessory and starter relays.

This is nothing like the Bulldog I put in my '97 Tahoe. I am having a lot of trouble. So far I think I need to hook up the three red wires to a 12volt constant. Then, from my understanding I need to cut a wire and hook the green to one side and the violet to the other. Am I way off? Also, am I going to be using a 775 relay in this section of the installation? I also am having a very hard time finding the correct wiring diagram for my pickup. I am currently using a print out of a 2000 Suburban, which I'm pretty sure does not match my pickup. I also have a wiring diagram for a '98-'02 half ton Chevrolet Silverado, but I think it is incorrect. Any help, information, and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Now that I have the correct wiring diagram I think I about have it figured out. I mainly need help with the green and violet wire. Again, does this use a #775 relay? Do I cut the factory starter wire? If I do use a relay, could someone explain the connections in detail. For example, will I need to run a 12volt constant and ground to the other pins? Thanks again!

H3/4 VIOLET STARTER OUTPUT

This wire hooks up to the starter side of the starter wire in the car. This wire is also pin 30 of the onboard starter kill relay.

H3/5 GREEN STARTER INPUT

After cutting the starter wire connect the GREEN wire to the end going to the ignition switch. This wire is pin 87a of the onboard starter kill relay.

I have been doing some digging, and have come up with some information on the12volt.com. So, this is a starter kill relay:

starterkill.gif

Check out http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp for more information and different diagrams. You know it wouldn't have killed DEI to put this in their manuals. Nevertheless, I think this is what they are wanting. Then, I think they want the green wire spliced in to the wire going to the ignition switch, and the viloet spliced in to the wire going to the starter. If I am correct, a person could opt out of the starter kill relay and still get his/her remote start to function by splicing the violet wire into the factor starter wire. Any ideas?

I am back with answers! On the heavy gauge, 10-pin connector all three red wires (red, red/black, and red/white) need to be hooked up to constant 12volts. I installed a fuse box on my firewall to connect these to so I didn't have to splice into anything. Pink is ignition 1, and in my installation pink/white is ignition 2. In the Silverado, they connect to ignition 1, pink, and ignition 2, white, found near the steering column. Pink/black is not used. Orange is accessory. It connects to the orange wire found near the steering column. That leaves us with green and violet. It turns out, the relay that the manual mentions is actually built into the remote start box. Therefore, if you cut the yellow wire (starter) found near your steering column and hook the green wire up to the side going to the ignition and the violet wire up to the side going to the starter, you will now have everything hooked up as the manual asks. The drawback to this is that you now CANNOT start your Silverado without the Python 991, Viper 5901, or Clifford Matrix 50.7X connected to the 10-pin connector. I THINK if you want to get around this you can leave your yellow wire intact and simply splice the violet wire into it. This should allow voltage to pass even when the DEI remote start is not connected.

Also, I was in a bind and had to purchase my Canmax400 from a local dealer. It currently has DLPKKICH8 firmware installed on it. THIS WILL NOT WORK. For a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado you need 400.GM5 (as of Oct 27, 2009).

My installation is almost done. Everything under the dash is done except for the Canmax, which shouldn't be too hard. The only other wires I need to hook up are the siren and hood pin switch, and I got them through the firewall last night. I have been taking pictures and will have a full write-up when complete. I hope this information helps another DIYer like me!

Looks good

"The drawback to this is that you now CANNOT start your Silverado without the Python 991, Viper 5901, or Clifford Matrix 50.7X connected to the 10-pin connector. I THINK if you want to get around this you can leave your yellow wire intact and simply splice the violet wire into it. This should allow voltage to pass even when the DEI remote start is not connected"

They do this for the anti grind feature. When you remote start you get in your truck and turn the key to ignition to drive away and the anti grind prevents you from grinding the starter if you or anyone else operating your truck accidently goes past ign to start. But, as you said, its not needed.

Archived