Time For A Colorado Or Canyon.

As an 'old timer' I've seen my share of recessions. And two 'gas' crisis times. Long lines at the gas stations.

I'm not going to jump into the argument of whether you should be able to buy a large truck or SUV.

From my vantage point, I see a world that is going to run shorter - I said shorter - of oil. Once this recession is over, demand for oil will spike. China makes almost all consumer goods now. China at one point was putting on line a new oil fired power plant every two weeks - or some such number. China and now India are making automobiles for the masses. It's only common sense that oil prices will climb as demand climbs. Not today, not tomorrow. But sometime is the near future. Go to the History Channel, National Geograpic Channel, C-Span and listen/watch some of the experts. Most state that oil production will peak somewhere around 2020 (not that far away).

We, in North America, will have to change and adapt our behaviors. Hybrids are one answer. The electric car is not here yet for the masses. And electric cars still use fossil fuels - just indirectly.

The consumer in North America mostly lives in the here and now and rarely thinks of the future - or long term.

Full size trucks will always be there for the contractor. And the person towing a large motor home. But for those who just purchase a truck for personal use - driving to work and back - the more fuel efficient truck will be the truck of choice.

Questions about styling. Styling of a truck is so subjective. What's 'cool' for one person is awful for another. Those with any achitect backgrounds know the terms 'form over function' or 'function over form'.

Look what happened to the Aztek. GM tried a styling exercise - and all hell broke lose. So then much is more conservative now.

I'm thinking long term. I've looked at the smaller Toyota and Nissan trucks. None offer a 4x4 extended cab with 4 cylinder engine. GM does with the Colorado and Canyon.

I don't think Toyota nor Nissan make a better truck than the Colorado or Canyon. But I do think the perception is that they do. And perception is reality - most of the time for many people. Advertising and marketing do affect public opinion. GM and Ford just don't advertise the smaller truck - for whatever reason.

If I am going to buy a small/mid-size truck - I want better gas mileage. Those Toyota and Nissan small truck get awful gas mileage. I might as well get a full size truck.

But I need a pickup truck now that actually fits into a standard garage and gets better gas mileage.

GM Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon fit the bill.

As you stated in your post there isn't much difference in MPGs between most small/mid trucks and the full size. There is not always that big a difference in the sale price either. The only reasons I can think of to purchase a smaller truck are personal taste or the need for a smaller ride (parking and such). Until smaller trucks get at least 10mpg better than full size I would never even consider them.

Also if E85 (corn or other method) ever takes off the full size trucks are capable of running it (I run it most of the time in my Tahoe and will be in my new truck) and the smaller trucks are not. That is one positive in my book.

One of the main reasons we sold or Chrysler Pacifica AWD was fuel mileage. In the 2010 Equinox we ordered we opted for the 4 cyl engine for the better mileage. This new engine uses direct injection which boost HP over 180 yet still gives excellent MPG's. Mated with a 6 speed auto it is rated at 20/29 with the AWD option. I know it won't be a hotrod but neither was our old car...

As you stated in your post there isn't much difference in MPGs between most small/mid trucks and the full size. There is not always that big a difference in the sale price either. The only reasons I can think of to purchase a smaller truck are personal taste or the need for a smaller ride (parking and such). Until smaller trucks get at least 10mpg better than full size I would never even consider them.

This is the reason I bought my Sierra. I was looking at small/midsize trucks and saw that there wasn't much difference in price/mpg. So I went with the fullsize. But now, I went to the OC Auto Show and saw the Colorado again and fell in love with it. My wife needs a new a car and she likes trucks so we might get it.

I just bought a Colorado 2.9L with a standard transmission, I am really happy with it! I do wish GM offered all the bells and whistles that they do in the full size, but for driving around in the city, parking, gas mileage, I am very happy. I say go for it! In my opinion it seems like a great little truck. I have no regrets other than the fact that I keep questioning whether I should have bought 4WD for the two or three weeks of snow we get here.

I don't like small trucks but good luck to you! :thumbs:

The old lady's Grandpa bought a new 2008 Colorado. He's a little old man who didn't want to lug around a full size truck, but never liked sedans. He doesn't haul much, and it is easy for him to maneuver around town.

Post up some pictures! :smash:

I just bought a Colorado 2.9L with a standard transmission, I am really happy with it! I do wish GM offered all the bells and whistles that they do in the full size, but for driving around in the city, parking, gas mileage, I am very happy. I say go for it! In my opinion it seems like a great little truck. I have no regrets other than the fact that I keep questioning whether I should have bought 4WD for the two or three weeks of snow we get here.

yeah the manual colorados are pretty fun to drive. i drove my uncles 2wd manual colorado the a grassy field and it was awesome

I'm not sure what gas mileage the 2.9L gets but my brother-in-law has the 5 cylinder, 3.7L it gets the same gas mileage as my full size Chevy.

I know you said you don't want a full size truck but if you want better gas mileage I would go for a diesel. But then you would have to weight the benefit of getting better gas mileage with a diesel vs. gas and the cost of regular fuel vs. diesel fuel.

I don't know, it's just my $0.02

2010 Chevy Colorado 2WD Pickup Trucks

4 cyl, 2.9 L, 4-speed automatic

• 18 city | 25 highway

4 cyl, 2.9 L, 5-speed manual

• 18 city | 25 highway

5 cyl, 3.7 L, 4-speed automatic

• 17 city | 23 highway

Cab Chassis: 5 cyl, 3.7 L, 4-speed automatic

• 15 city | 20 highway

2010 Chevy Colorado 4WD Pickup Trucks

4 cyl, 2.9 L, 5-speed manual

• 18 city | 24 highway

4 cyl, 2.9 L, 4-speed automatic

• 17 city | 23 highway

5 cyl, 3.7 L, 4-speed automatic

• 17 city | 23 highway

• 16 city | 21 highway

Crew Cab: 5 cyl, 3.7 L, 4-speed automatic

• 16 city | 21 highway

18 to 24 MPG on a 4WD pickup is good to me.

Yep, just took delivery of my 2010 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 LT2 with 5.3L engine. Awsome vehicle! Got rid of a 2007 Silverado extended cab when I got this one. Wife did not like parking and general handling of the larger truck. Colorado is a very agile vehicle, good ride, handles well, and all the power I need.

you can probably get even better that 18 city if you baby the throttle, especially if its manual.

didnt GM make the 5.3 an option for 2009 in the colorado? that thing must be so fast

Yep, just took delivery of my 2010 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 LT2 with 5.3L engine. Awsome vehicle! Got rid of a 2007 Silverado extended cab when I got this one. Wife did not like parking and general handling of the larger truck. Colorado is a very agile vehicle, good ride, handles well, and all the power I need.

you can probably get even better that 18 city if you baby the throttle, especially if its manual.

didnt GM make the 5.3 an option for 2009 in the colorado? that thing must be so fast

Congratulations! I really like mine, it's a good little truck.

AH OKAY, here we go, i had a 2007 colorado 4x4 4 cly, auto

I couldnt break 20mpg,

it had decent power for teh 4cly, no complaints at all loaded or empty, really couldnt tell from my exp.

They are cheap interiors, always getting complaints about the quality inside, and the milage for gas,, but they look great, and quite a bit of room inside when u think of the space. I had the plain jane 4x4 auto, and delt w/ it fine, but played around w/ the accesories, so heres a pic or 2,,

i tried to buy a ext / or crew cab 4x4, but too expensive for what they are,, Silverado had the cheaper price when incentives are thrown in. BUt good luck w/ your choices,

http://coloradofans.com/forums/gallery/ima...hp?pic_id=25822

http://coloradofans.com/forums/gallery/ima...hp?pic_id=25821

• 1 month later...

I guess I disagree with two of the premises; one, there is no shortage of crude, the US itself has approximately 200 years supply at current consumption levels, that is, if we had the resolve to go and get the juice. Secondly I don't believe that the American consumers are interested in only the here and now, and I think that to say that is painting with a very wide brush...

What the American auto industry really does need to do is focus more on the diesel engine, which is a far greener alternative to gassers.

Archived