5.3 Afm And Oil Consumption

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2007 Sierra consumes oil when I do lots of highway driving. Anytime I take a trip the message centre tells me to "check engine oil/add oil". I can drive for months around town with no excessive consumption but AFM is not usually in use when driving around town. I love the 5.3 but my next truck might be the 6.2.

By the way; my truck has been checked for leaks and there are none and I do not get any blue smoke or any other signs of burning oil. I wonder where it all goes.

Glad to hear that it's just not my truck! I have an 07 AFM 5.3 with 36000 miles and it uses about a quart every oil change if i get it changed at the dealer. Less if i do the oil change and use better oil. Let me know what you guys are seeing.

Steve

GM really seems to have screwed the pooch on the newer 5.3... I keep reading all these threads about lifter noise and oil consumption. I do hear fuel economy is better, but if its at the cost of the engine being good.. damn!

Mine is running great after six years and 103k, uses no noticeable amount of oil and makes no ticking noises. I know that the many others with 5.3L engines that were built after the cold-start knock issues were resolved and before the NNBS trucks came out had similar results.

My late -09 5.3 ALU block flex was a little over-full on delivery. That bothered me a bit, I expected it to use some initially. After 3k miles of highway towing and lots of short trips the oil is still at the same level, about 1/2 over. :P So maybe they are compensating for some that use a little on break-in..

Its not related to AFM. If you go back you will see that owners of 99+ year trucks reported this issue also and these trucks did not have AFM.

I respectfully disagree. Had my 09 5.3 back to the dealer yesterday because it burned another 1/2 quart in the last 250 miles since they started my "Oil Consumption Record". That brings it to a quart and a half on a new truck with only 1,800 miles on it. The oil consumption is increasing exponentially.

GM PIP4492J - Dec 2, 2009 - Excessive oil consumption and blue smoke states that overaggressive lifters may be at fault. AFM engines use special lifters unique to those engines so they can shut down the cylinders in V-4 mode.

Therefore, AFM is at fault. My AFM is now shut off and the truck still burns oil like a smokestack. My dealer's service manager told me that they have also had to replace several camshafts on AFM engines due to pitting.

Can you say: Cadillac 4-6-8 fiasco all over again?

But hey, it doesn't have any cold piston slap.

From what I've gathered on this site, and other owners that I personally know, oil consumption is not common on the 07+ 5.3 (w/ AFM). Some are reporting it on this site, but most are not. Personally, 13k miles in 1.5 years and no measurable consumption. It sounds more like a bad production run than a design issue... either that or GM used a different design for each 5.3 line... which I doubt.

I've got just over 13k on mine right now and I've had no noticeable oil loss at all. Using Mobile1 and delco filter starting at 2k.

Way to early to make any real judgments but at the same time good to know compared to Jimmy's case

Archived