285's Or 265's?

I am looking for opinions.

I need new tires for my 2003 Z71, and I am torn between 285/75/16's or 265/75/16's. I drive about 40 miles round trip every day, I hunt and fish A LOT, and I help my Father on his horse farm. Traction is important, so I will be going with mud tires, but which size should I get? Will the loss of power be big with the bigger tires? Will the gas mileage reall fall?

What would you suggest?

Not a significant change, provided you stick to the same tire rating (i.e., LT v. P, D-rated v. E-rated, etc.). Muds, all other things equal, will not yield as good of MPG as all terrains.

A bigger impact is your gearing and your primary type of use (i.e., city v. highway mileage). I know of 4WD Tahoes that get better mileage than my 2WD Tahoe, even with larger tires than mine, just because their gear ratios are lower (i.e., higher numerical value). My 2WD Tahoe with 3.23 gears on 265/70/17 tires is primarily city-driven, so it's like trying to ride a 10-speed bike in 10th gear all the time - a real bitch at low speeds. My mileage would go UP if my gears were say 3.73 or 4.10, so much so that I could even increase my tire size and still net a gain in MPG.

I have an 03 too. I ordered Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 285/70R/17, my stock wheels were 16's but I also bought 17" rims. The tires look awsome. I havent driven my truck yet, because its in shop getting 3" body lift and rims and tires on. I should be getting it back today!

if your going mud terrain also give the 255/85/R16 a look. I had a set of BFG MT's on my 2000. Taller than a 285 (no fitment issues) and not as wide (less rock chips)

Also cheaper than a 285 :cheers:

Higher friction tires like mudders will negatively affect mpg. How much, it depends on the tires, air pressure and how you drive.

Larger diameter tires negatively affect around town driving mpg more than highway mpg. It depends on how much larger and how hard you mash the pedal from a stop and/or how often you tow or haul.

DEWFPO

Archived