Rancho Or Bilstiens

I have the rs5000 on my jeep wrangler, and was pleased with them.

So when I needed shocks on my 2500HD, I ordered the 9000xl's, which came at the time with a free wireless remote control kit to adjust the shocks.

Much to my surprise, they were terrible! No matter how I adjusted them, they rode either to soft, or firm. No happy medium.

I took them off after about 100 miles, and sold them.

I replaced them with the OEM GM shocks. The first set lasted 50,000, and the new shocks are great!

I didn't want to experiment with another brand, after losing money on the Rancho's, never again!

I heard some where that the OEM shocks on GM trucks are Bilstiens, at least in the 1/2 tons. I had to replace my fronts in my Sub, dealer wanted something like $125 a piece, so I went straight to the Bilstien web site and ordered them on line there for I believe $75.00 a piece, I didn't think that was expensive at all.

I heard some where that the OEM shocks on GM trucks are Bilstiens, at least in the 1/2 tons. I had to replace my fronts in my Sub, dealer wanted something like $125 a piece, so I went straight to the Bilstien web site and ordered them on line there for I believe $75.00 a piece, I didn't think that was expensive at all.

In the GMT-400 Series trucks they are Bilsteins. The new shocks are Tenneco's either the red for the Z71 or the black for the regular shocks. Tenneco and Rancho are both apart of the Monroe shock group. I found this out when I bought a Rancho steering stabilizer for my 2500HD that had Tenneco bushings and it was shipped from Monroe.

I put the Bilsteins on my 2004 2500HD when they ran the buy 3 get the 4th free thing last summer. I haven't looked back. It handles better, no more lumber wagon unless the trailer I pull is just loaded down, and they adjust to the road conditions. It takes a little bit of time for them to adjust but they do. Offroad and rough roads are a little smoother and the axle hop is almost gone now. And highway driving is alot better. Hope this helps.

Archived