Alternator Making Noise.

Heard what sounded like a grinding type of noise coming from under the hood on my 2500HD and sounded like a bad bearing on either ideler or alternator, so turns out it was the alternator. The auto shop is going to order me a new one, gonna go with a 145 amp instead of the OEM 105 the truck came with. Ordered it from a GM dealer for $434.00, wanted the most expensive alternator cause my warranty covers it. Am able to go from 105 to a 145, just might need a bigger belt to accomodate bigger alternator. Now my F250's back then came with 125 amp alternators and I replaced them with rebuilt or new 135 amp alternators which helped with power from the plow and the sound system, also added extra battery to the F250. I was kinda puzzled at first as to why GM used only a 105 amp alternator on their HD trucks seeing Ford used 125 amp or higher at the time. Also was surprised as to how well my 2500HD with a 105 alternator and single battery was able to handle the sound system (which I swapped out of the F250 after I got the 2500HD years back) and the plow, along with tail gate spreader.

So I was wanted to seek out anyone that might have replaced their standard OEM 105 amp alternator and upgraded to the OEM 145 amp alternator in their 2500HD's and did you notice a difference in performance after the upgrade?

With the current 105 amp, I do get some slight dimming of the dash lights when the sound system is turned up and the two 12" subs thumping, as well with when operating the plow control. I'm kinda hoping the 145 amp alternator handles the power drain better, not that it really was much of an issue with the 105 amp, but bigger is better with a 145 amp alternator.

Heard what sounded like a grinding type of noise coming from under the hood on my 2500HD and sounded like a bad bearing on either ideler or alternator, so turns out it was the alternator. The auto shop is going to order me a new one, gonna go with a 145 amp instead of the OEM 105 the truck came with. Ordered it from a GM dealer for $434.00, wanted the most expensive alternator cause my warranty covers it. Am able to go from 105 to a 145, just might need a bigger belt to accomodate bigger alternator. Now my F250's back then came with 125 amp alternators and I replaced them with rebuilt or new 135 amp alternators which helped with power from the plow and the sound system, also added extra battery to the F250. I was kinda puzzled at first as to why GM used only a 105 amp alternator on their HD trucks seeing Ford used 125 amp or higher at the time. Also was surprised as to how well my 2500HD with a 105 alternator and single battery was able to handle the sound system (which I swapped out of the F250 after I got the 2500HD years back) and the plow, along with tail gate spreader.

So I was wanted to seek out anyone that might have replaced their standard OEM 105 amp alternator and upgraded to the OEM 145 amp alternator in their 2500HD's and did you notice a difference in performance after the upgrade?

With the current 105 amp, I do get some slight dimming of the dash lights when the sound system is turned up and the two 12" subs thumping, as well with when operating the plow control. I'm kinda hoping the 145 amp alternator handles the power drain better, not that it really was much of an issue with the 105 amp, but bigger is better with a 145 amp alternator.

Unless you're revving the engine over 2000 rpms, you want notice a difference. If you're looking for better performance( 0-60 times, gas mileage, better drive-ability), then you want find any with just an alternator swap. The stock 105 is pretty sufficient as a low idle charging unit. A bigger one may help with light dimming situations using heavy draw items like stereos, snow plows, and e-fans. But, I doubt you'll even notice a difference between the two alternators. $434.00 dollars for an alternator is past damn ridiculous, I could get a semi truck 275 amp unit for $250. Yes, the part number on the belt for a 135 amp equipped truck is different than for a 105 amp equipped truck.

Ok first of all I didn't mention anything about looking for better performance from an alternator swap in 0-60, gas mileage and better driveabilty. An alternator has nothing to do with 0-60 time. The 145 amp would be better at handling the power draws from my amps, invertor, snow plow and auxilary lighting. I'm sure I will notice a gain in using a 145 amp vs a 105 amp. My Memphis M-Class amps can draw quite a bit (especially when turned up). I have a 1700 watt invertor to power my notebooks and printer. Running all the above at the same time certainly draws alot, especially during the winter when I'm out plowing and also running the tailgate spreader. I'm sure the gains will be noticeably different. I've upgraded the alternators in my previous F250's in the past and noticed good sizeable gains from doing so. I'm looking for people that have upgraded their 105 amp alternators in their GM trucks to a 145 amp alternator, not looking for opinions about it.

I was just depicting a general meaning of "performance" as how well something performs. Since we are talking about a 2500hd, I was talking about truck performance overall. I'm just saying unless you rev that engine, you won't notice a bit of difference with light dimming or the similar. No need to get all pissy, this is just a public forum where anyone has the right to state what they think. I have two subs running from my amp also, and the stock alt holds them pretty well, like you stated earlier. I don't know how it would handle a snow plow as it doesn't snow where I live.

When I upgraded the alternator in my F250 that I had I certainly did notice a difference. The stock alternator could not keep up with the demand from the power of the sound system in my truck and the dash lights would dim when the 12's were thumping in unison to the lows. I put a bigger alternator in it and I noticed much less dimming happening. Then with operating the plow, I added an extra battery which helped out even more. I seek out others that have upgraded to a 145 amp alternator and think I made my message pretty well clear and understandable. Responding to this thread with only an opinion has no place in this thread and means nothing to me as well. Unless you have upgraded your 105 amp alternator (which I already can tell you haven't) to a 145 amp alternator, you are just giving me your opinion on what YOU think about it.

When I upgraded the alternator in my F250 that I had I certainly did notice a difference. The stock alternator could not keep up with the demand from the power of the sound system in my truck and the dash lights would dim when the 12's were thumping in unison to the lows. I put a bigger alternator in it and I noticed much less dimming happening. Then with operating the plow, I added an extra battery which helped out even more. I seek out others that have upgraded to a 145 amp alternator and think I made my message pretty well clear and understandable. Responding to this thread with only an opinion has no place in this thread and means nothing to me as well. Unless you have upgraded your 105 amp alternator (which I already can tell you haven't) to a 145 amp alternator, you are just giving me your opinion on what YOU think about it.

If you're mad at me now, go look at what I wrote in your "reset oil life monitor" thread. :troll:

If you're mad at me now, go look at what I wrote in your "reset oil life monitor" thread. :troll:

If this is why you are here, to get people mad at you, I hate to break the news to you..You're not gonna last too long here.

If this is why you are here, to get people mad at you, I hate to break the news to you..You're not gonna last too long here.

I wasn't trying to get people mad at me, I was stating an opinion and you jumped all over me about it. I do also like going back and forth on these two threads talking to you, though. :troll:

I really don't like it when someone comes to a thread and continously posts irrelevant stuff. It's vandalism in a way. "Digital vandalism". I didn't omit this thread to go back and forth with someone who has just an opinion to offer and gets off on being a clown. I'm sure you could find another thread or better yet a different brand of vehicle, say "toyota" and post irrelevant content over there. Heck I might even join you for some laughs!

I really don't like it when someone comes to a thread and continously posts irrelevant stuff. It's vandalism in a way. "Digital vandalism". I didn't omit this thread to go back and forth with someone who has just an opinion to offer and gets off on being a clown. I'm sure you could find another thread or better yet a different brand of vehicle, say "toyota" and post irrelevant content over there. Heck I might even join you for some laughs!

Sounds like a plan, to the toyota forum!!

You guys crack me up!!!!!

Let's see, one has 900+ posts, and one has 300+ posts. Does seniority win?

From what I can tell about this forum, the rules seem pretty loose about what's posted, so it sounds like 2001Silverado364 is within whatever rules exist. He gets the point on this one.

Oh wait, am I going to lose points for being off topic? Geez, anonymity is great. Of course, those who know me think I'm a smart alec.

Oh I would have a feild day over there! I wonder after all the deaths, and the biggest auto manufacturer recall in history! Just what they would have to say now. I really found it amusing how toyota salesmen did a botched truck pull with their turdra against chevy, ford, and dodge and had a toyota salesmen drive all of the big 3 while either having a parking brake applied and giving it no gas, or leaving the truck in N and giving it gas. I laughed my ass off the other day when I saw a commericial for toyota trucks and it showed an older turdra and the owner telling the story of how long he has owned his turdra, and how reliable it was, and the 180,000 miles he had on it. Big deal! I had a GM engine last well over 550,000. I've seen certain model toyotas all have the same areas that had rust on it. I remember a few years ago when I was getting my new western plow installed and there was this toyota salesmen who also was at the plow shop in Easton PA and wouldn't shup up about his turdra. He kept bothering me and another 2 contractors who were there asking them if "What if toyota decided to make a heavy duty truck, would you buy one?". One guy said "Oh no way" the other "absolutely not".

Oh I would have a feild day over there! I wonder after all the deaths, and the biggest auto manufacturer recall in history! Just what they would have to say now. I really found it amusing how toyota salesmen did a botched truck pull with their turdra against chevy, ford, and dodge and had a toyota salesmen drive all of the big 3 while either having a parking brake applied and giving it no gas, or leaving the truck in N and giving it gas. I laughed my ass off the other day when I saw a commericial for toyota trucks and it showed an older turdra and the owner telling the story of how long he has owned his turdra, and how reliable it was, and the 180,000 miles he had on it. Big deal! I had a GM engine last well over 550,000. I've seen certain model toyotas all have the same areas that had rust on it. I remember a few years ago when I was getting my new western plow installed and there was this toyota salesmen who also was at the plow shop in Easton PA and wouldn't shup up about his turdra. He kept bothering me and another 2 contractors who were there asking them if "What if toyota decided to make a heavy duty truck, would you buy one?". One guy said "Oh no way" the other "absolutely not".

I saw that truck pull, it's on youtube, that pissed me off. I swear the guy in the chevy wasn't trying. I called bullshit. :thumbs: That's funny that they wouldn't buy a toyota heavy duty. Toyotas are supposed to be light trucks and good in mud, but that's about it. Hell, there probably not even good in mud anymore.

There is a bunch of videos on youtube about it. Did you ever see that video of the 99 2500 dragging the turdra behind it like a toy? The turdra was bouncing around as the 2500 was pulling it with ease. Some guy in a turdra once tried to pass me while I was going up a mountain pulling my trailer with a couple of ZTR's, and other landscaping equipment. I got on the gas after he got into the opposite lane "illegally i might add" and nailed the pedal down. He had to back off cause he couldn't pass me. One of my previous laborers actually had video of it on his phone, but something happened to the phones card and he lost everything on the card. It was pretty funny too! I cannot stress, if I had a dollar for everytime I got on a highway entrance and can't accelerate to my vehicles potential because of some POS toyota is putt putt putting along, causing drivers in non rice mobiles to slow down, I'd be a very wealthy man! I was driving back from the shore about a month ago and came across some light weight on the highway who was driving a camary that had one of those shiny coffee can exhausts on it. I was driving our BMW X5 and this light weight had one heck of a time trying to pass me. He would get into the middle lane, floor it and I just ease down on the gas pedal and stayed ahead of him the entire time. Tell you something, that SAV is over 6000 lbs and has the limiter deleted and will do 150 comfortably. I never did 150 on the highway with it, but have accidentally exceeded 100 thinking I was doing about 75-80. That SAV handles like it is a sports car.

There is a bunch of videos on youtube about it. Did you ever see that video of the 99 2500 dragging the turdra behind it like a toy? The turdra was bouncing around as the 2500 was pulling it with ease. Some guy in a turdra once tried to pass me while I was going up a mountain pulling my trailer with a couple of ZTR's, and other landscaping equipment. I got on the gas after he got into the opposite lane "illegally i might add" and nailed the pedal down. He had to back off cause he couldn't pass me. One of my previous laborers actually had video of it on his phone, but something happened to the phones card and he lost everything on the card. It was pretty funny too! I cannot stress, if I had a dollar for everytime I got on a highway entrance and can't accelerate to my vehicles potential because of some POS toyota is putt putt putting along, causing drivers in non rice mobiles to slow down, I'd be a very wealthy man! I was driving back from the shore about a month ago and came across some light weight on the highway who was driving a camary that had one of those shiny coffee can exhausts on it. I was driving our BMW X5 and this light weight had one heck of a time trying to pass me. He would get into the middle lane, floor it and I just ease down on the gas pedal and stayed ahead of him the entire time. Tell you something, that SAV is over 6000 lbs and has the limiter deleted and will do 150 comfortably. I never did 150 on the highway with it, but have accidentally exceeded 100 thinking I was doing about 75-80. That SAV handles like it is a sports car.

Sounds like good times, I wish I had stories to tell that were of that caliber. For some reason it always seems that toyota always has the slowest acceleration in its class. It's funny how a thread of alternators turned into a toyota bashing thread! :thumbs:

Archived