Bose Sub Woofer Replacement

In case anyone is referencing this thread for their amp install...

The clearance between the seat and the back wall is a major consideration. I mounted my amp on a .5" piece of ply wood and I got lucky that it fit. If I were doing it again today, I would use something much much thinner to glue to the back wall. DO NOT mount your amp to the back wall with self tapping screws. That is just plain lazy and may cause a huge ground loop between the amplifier chassis and the truck.

I did exactly that on my '02 (self-tapping screws) ex-cab. Never had a problem. That system was great. I wound up redoing the whole thing and putting the amps on a board...But I didn't have a problem while they were screwed directly into the wall.

Here was the first try, before I cleaned up the wiring:

Hahaha I knew someone was going to post something like that...just didn't expect it to be you. :cool:

Glad it worked for you. In my last car I mounted my amps to the sheet metal and I ended up with some crazy noise problems.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for bringing up a slightly old thread...

Nice work Ahsmo! I was thinking of giving this a try in a friends truck. I've got an old Phoenix Gold XS8 that does quite well in small enclosures.

Also, I noticed someone mentioned AudioControl processors. While my truck doesn't have the Bose system, I am planning on adding the factory navigation and would like to install an AudioControl LC6i and use the EQ in my amp or possibly a DQXS and call it a day. Have you thought about going that route?

Sorry for bringing up a slightly old thread...

Nice work Ahsmo! I was thinking of giving this a try in a friends truck. I've got an old Phoenix Gold XS8 that does quite well in small enclosures.

Also, I noticed someone mentioned AudioControl processors. While my truck doesn't have the Bose system, I am planning on adding the factory navigation and would like to install an AudioControl LC6i and use the EQ in my amp or possibly a DQXS and call it a day. Have you thought about going that route?

Thanks fastev. I am a huge PG fan... I never considered the XS8. http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manuals/...s_and_Boxes.pdf looks like it would work really well if you did the same thing I did.

audiocontrol makes some nice stuff. Did you see the JBL unit I posted?

I must have missed the JBL... I assume you are referring to the MS-8? Seems like a great unit, but too rich for my blood as of now. I've used AudioControl for a number of years in other vehicles, and always had great results.

I modeled a handful of subs for the Bose replacement, and the PG ended up as one of the standouts. I actually forgot I even had it and stumbled upon a box with a couple amps and some subs while looking for something else in my garage last week. To my surprise I found the old little XS8, a pair of PG Xmax 12's, an OLD JL 10w3 (which was always one of my favorites), and a pair of PG Titanium amps! The PG stuff is all probably 10 or 12 years old now, but all from the best days of Phoenix Gold in my opinion...

I must have missed the JBL... I assume you are referring to the MS-8? Seems like a great unit, but too rich for my blood as of now. I've used AudioControl for a number of years in other vehicles, and always had great results.

I modeled a handful of subs for the Bose replacement, and the PG ended up as one of the standouts. I actually forgot I even had it and stumbled upon a box with a couple amps and some subs while looking for something else in my garage last week. To my surprise I found the old little XS8, a pair of PG Xmax 12's, an OLD JL 10w3 (which was always one of my favorites), and a pair of PG Titanium amps! The PG stuff is all probably 10 or 12 years old now, but all from the best days of Phoenix Gold in my opinion...

I had a xmax 12 in my first car and it slammed. I loved that thing. If you want to let those Titanium amps go...I know a good home for them after the capacitors are replaced ;)

MS-8 looks like everything you were looking to do without having to rely solely on your ears and ebay has some for less than the huge premium they are expecting people to pay. The little built in amp would be very nice for a modest active setup or a Bose factory amp replacement. To keep myself from spending more money, I didn't measure the area where the Bose amp is but I am willing to bet that it will fit.

Regardless, If you do gut the Bose woofer let me know how that XS8 sounds!

Dumb question for you audiophiles:

Why does the rear speakers in newer chev trucks have so much lower volume than they used to have? I know they are there but they are barely loud enough to hear! What gives?!?!?!

I don't know if that is true(I've never heard a nbs truck) but I would assume that it is to keep the sound stage in front of the driver and high up on the dash. Sound stage meaning where the sound "sounds" like it is coming from. More sound from low and behind the driver would pull the sound stage back and down.

I forgot to say how much this setup cost me:

$50 For the Re rex 8" sub

$70 for the Boss Audio amp

$10 for the 8 gauge amp kit

$10 for the wood and glue I used

$70 for the resin, hardener, and brushes (I bought the very expensive Westmarine stuff. Only good thing about that resin is that it does not smell at all which I have had a problem with in the past with Bondo brand resin)

I had the tools, staples, some electrical tape, odds and ends, and screws.

So for this major improvement over the Bose system I spent $210. Had I not glassed in the speaker rings I would have only been out $140.

Not bad! Somehow these projects usually manage to get out of control way too easily; $210 is very reasonable. Do you have any plans to take it further-- more than just the sub upgrade? And if I decide to part with those amps I'll be sure to let you know...

Not bad! Somehow these projects usually manage to get out of control way too easily; $210 is very reasonable. Do you have any plans to take it further-- more than just the sub upgrade? And if I decide to part with those amps I'll be sure to let you know...

I'm happy with what I have right now.

When I get a project car in a few years, I have a few tricks for it. I have a Roadster 66 and a set of Dynaudio 3 ways sitting in storage waiting for the right car.

Its been a while. I'll have to look at the wireing diagram I have and see which ones I tapped. I just used a speaker wire that had rca connections on the other side for my amp. I picked them up at radio shack for about $15. Been working fine for about 6 months with no amplified door chimes or turn signals. I'm about to change out my front speakers and add another amp by passing the bose altogether. that is as soon as I make up my mine which components I'm going to go with LOL

So did you find your wiring diagram showing which wires are for the low level outputs from the stereo to the sub amp?

• 6 months later...

This thread was exactly what I was looking for (even if it is a bit old). I just received my 8" JL W3 and cut my Bose box. Using the leasons learned on this post hopefully I come out with a good result. If anyone is interested, I'll start posting pics and progress.

• 8 months later...

Archived