Transmission Leak?

For the past week, my truck's transmission seemed to be acting a little quirky. Shifts seemed a bit firm and it just did not feel right. I checked the fluid, and it was about 2/3 of a quart low. Fluid looked good, smelled good, but was just low. I topped it off and drove it home. I have not seen any evidence of leaks on the driveway or parking lot at work. The only thing that looks possible is a little bit of seepage around the bell housing. Wiped it off and it was black. What could be causing this if it indeed is where the leak is occurring?

Truck is the one in signature with 4L60E and about 33000 miles.

Well, got it back from the dealer today. The stuff around the bellhousing was assembly grease. Service writer said they put some dye in the fluid and to drive a few hundred miles and bring it back. :lurk:

Assembly grease? BS. Probably torque converter seal leaking. Typical problem.

I wouldn't call it grease, but there is a very light coating of some type inside the bell housing from the factory. One of the first things I did on mine when new was to inspect behind the blank plates. Felt more sticky than greasy, but stuck to finger kinda like really thick grease or glue. Definitely not oil or transmission fluid.

Assembly grease? BS. Probably torque converter seal leaking. Typical problem.

I wouldn't call it grease, but there is a very light coating of some type inside the bell housing from the factory. One of the first things I did on mine when new was to inspect behind the blank plates. Felt more sticky than greasy, but stuck to finger kinda like really thick grease or glue. Definitely not oil or transmission fluid.

There wasn't a lot of it, and I was skeptical that was the location of said leak in the first place. It was similar to what you described in texture. It didn't appear to run down the bellhousing like I would expect a leak to.

check your rear output seals...mine were leaking but the fluid never hit the ground because the driveshaft flung it up on the underside of the bed...also if your front pump seal was leaking you would be able to see the seepage around the bellhouseing(also out of personal experience)

So I took it back to the dealer today. They scanned the underside of the truck and found no traces of dye. It's due for service in another 1,000 miles, they said to keep an eye on the level and bring it back in then and they'll scan it again. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

i have a 1999 gmc sierra 1500 5.3 v8. its leaking transmission fluid from a small black cylinder about 6" long on the bottom of the engine. i have no clue what this part is called do any of you

Pictures might help

i have a 1999 gmc sierra 1500 5.3 v8. its leaking transmission fluid from a small black cylinder about 6" long on the bottom of the engine. i have no clue what this part is called do any of you

There is no transmission component on the bottom of the engine ,

See a garage ,please

Archived