General Motor's Rumorpile Reveals Some Future Truck Engine Plans

The engines that had issues back in the day were cast iron and aluminum combinations. Either the block was cast iron with aluminum heads, or the block was aluminum with cast iron heads. The issue was dis-similar metals. That still is an issue, and is one of the reasons they went to plastic intake manifolds.

No such engine as the all aluminum Pontiac 455 SD. That engine was all cast iron and had some odd parts in it. Near as I can recall the distributor ran off of the opposite side of the camshaft for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Article does seem kinda vague to me and sounds like a lot of speculation. Probably some truth to it though, but I was really hoping that they'd add a small diesel to the LD pickups.

I hope that they can build an all aluminum engine that can keep head gaskets....... That's been an issue with GM...... Just sayin'

Specifically which all aluminum GM engines would you be speaking of, that had head gasket "issues"? I'm curious.

I knew that I was going to be sorry for mentioning that........ :P

Remember how old I am....... :cheers: ......it's just sort of a sore spot with me.

'61-63 215 cu in V8s....... new head gaskets with every oil change.......

I had a '73 Trans Am 455 super duty...... all aluminum...... couldn't keep head gaskets in it.

My brother had a Corvette..... don't remember what year..... all aluminum....... couldn't keep head gaskets in it......

I know.....I know..... I know..... Technology has come a long way baby and the Japanese have taught us a lot about building aluminum engines but the wheels grind VERY S L O W at GM........ :)

please get off the pipe, gm never made a sd455 in all aluminum,,and you owned 1 of 2 ZL-1 corvettes from 1969,or a 1990-1996 ZR1 corvette they never needed head gaskets,,,and duramax diesel engs run great [theve got aluminum heads]

I hope that they can build an all aluminum engine that can keep head gaskets....... That's been an issue with GM...... Just sayin'

Specifically which all aluminum GM engines would you be speaking of, that had head gasket "issues"? I'm curious.

I knew that I was going to be sorry for mentioning that........ :P

Remember how old I am....... :cheers: ......it's just sort of a sore spot with me.

'61-63 215 cu in V8s....... new head gaskets with every oil change.......

I had a '73 Trans Am 455 super duty...... all aluminum...... couldn't keep head gaskets in it.

My brother had a Corvette..... don't remember what year..... all aluminum....... couldn't keep head gaskets in it......

I know.....I know..... I know..... Technology has come a long way baby and the Japanese have taught us a lot about building aluminum engines but the wheels grind VERY S L O W at GM........ :)

please get off the pipe, gm never made a sd455 in all aluminum,,and you owned 1 of 2 ZL-1 corvettes from 1969,or a 1990-1996 ZR1 corvette they never needed head gaskets,,,and duramax diesel engs run great [theve got aluminum heads]

The 455s in 73 did have aluminum pistons. Maybe that is confusing him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bring back the 8.1, the 6.0 is pointless, besides the like diesel hp and torque it has it gets better mpg than the 6.0, I have consistently gotten 14-15 on all my 8.1's (unloaded of course) and never get above 12 on any of my 6.0's

The 6.0 should just be dropped.

Honestly my business has 3 of the 8.1's and two of them consume oil but it's so little I just wait til the oil change, we change the oil every 7-10k miles and I've never seen over a quart lower on either of the two that do consume oil, in addition, yes I actually do get better mpg, I figure it's because the engine doesn't have to work as hard to pull the truck, the 6.0 is a real dog, and when you hook a trailer to it, you better be ready take your time.

Archived