nitto vs firestone vs toyo A/T's

NJ Bassmaster

narrowing down tire choices. down to nitto terra grapplers, firestone destinations, toyo geolanders. for the size im looking at theyre all in the same price range so its up to performance. whats your guys's experience with any of these tires?

thanks in advance!

Geolander is a Yokohoma (sp?) tire. Toyo has the Rough Country AT I think. I ran them on mt 03 1500 and they were nice when I first got them but the performance degradation as the tread wore was stupid. Even with 50% tread, the tires had awful traction. Nittos are the same thing as Toyos for the most part. If it's available in your size, I always recommend the General Grabber AT2. I had them on my Tacoma and they were great.

shit idk why i said toyo's lol ment the yokos as in yokahoma geolanders. my bad guys lol buti have checked out the gen grabs before they look awesome, but i dont think they were in the right size :( i have heard mixed reviews about terra grapplers..some say theyre amazing, while the other half say they wore out in 25,000 miles. i also just heard that the firestone destinations wear unevenly? first time i heard that one

Everyone Ive talked to said the Nittos Terra Grappler is a great tire for highway and, sand, and gravel, but a little below average for mud. Most shops Ive talked to said they see anywhere between 35K to 60K+ depending on the weight of the vehicle and how well the owner keeps them rotated.

Im gonna go with the Nittos for my next set. They were the cheapest that I could find in the size I wanted, but I found good reviews for them so thats what Im gonna go with if the price is still right.

I've had Yokohama on my last truck, great tire for wear and highway mileage.

I currently have Nitto Terra Grapplers but I'm only about 2,000 or so in to them so far so I can't comment on longevity.

The do so-so in mud (light powder when dry, real slick when wet stuff), they do great on the hilly dirt roads around my camp (more sandy composition) and they are great on the highway. Hard core mud I would look elsewhere, but from what I've seen so far I'll go back with them if they can give me reasonable tread life.

ETA:

I've never had those Firestones, I know a friend's dad has some on his F150 and seems satisfied but his truck stays mainly on road these days (sold their hunting camp) and 4X4 only gets used on steep boat launches. Personally I don't care for their tread pattern.

yeah i plan on keeping this truck for a long time so theres not going to be any hardcore mud involved haha maybe just the occasional trail ride here and there, and out to some lakes and whatnot. well i doubt youve had any snow experience with em down south there lol but how were they in the rain? how many miles did ya get out of them?

I cannot speak about the Nitto (son has them and likes them) but I never have had them. Don't know anything about Toyo either , but I had a set on my 4Runner of the Firestone Dest AT and they were sweet tires . Great in rain and snow and did well off road , ride quality was nice and the wore nicely . The also have that unity compound that gets softer as the tires wear. Nice feature IMO.

I would buy another set for the GMC , but I want to try something different than the usual BFG AT's I've had which seem the more they wear the harder the ride and compound get. I have had over 10 sets of these on my life and I personally think they have fallen a little behind by just relying on the name and not making significant tread design and compound changes .

Nitto's are a good tire but I've heard they are a little soft and tend to wear fast but people still love then.

I have had the destinations and love them. I'm replacing my goodyears soon with them

I've had a set of Destination M/T tires on my 2500. They wear great but are noisy. They work great in mud and dirt, but a little loose in the rain on pavement, but not bad. Good tire for the money. I don't know about the Destination A/T, but Firestone rubber compounds seem to be great for wear as I had 4 sets of them that all went over 60,000 miles on another truck.

I just put 65,000 on some 285-70/17 LR E Toyo OC A/T tires and they just now are wearing to the wear indicators. I poisted a thread on them. I just ordered another set. Toyo owns Nitto and thats probably why the Terra Grappler A/T tread looks almost identical to the Toyo Open Country A/T. From the reports I've read on the Nitto's, I'd guess the Toyo's will wear longer by nearly twice. In comparable sizes, the Toyo and Nittos are not much difference in price.

With the Toyo A/T, you don't get those cute little lighning bolts on the sidewall, though.

This is the tires I had put on yesterday. I found them at Tire Crawler in 285-70/17 load range E blackwalls for $195 ea. That's as cheap as I've found. And they are local in CA.

2011-12-24_07-39-22_540.jpg

2011-12-24_07-39-52_491.jpg

Archived