Cloud of smoke

Hey yall, I have recently noticed that every now and then when I start my pickup I will get a pretty big cloud of smoke that comes out of the exhaust. I does not happen at every startup and it is just the initial startup that produces it. I have only had the pickup for about 3k and when I bought it I changed it over to a full synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1). I am pretty sure the previous owner only used conventional or a synthetic blend since they always had the dealer change it. It does burn some oil (burned only about 1/4 of the hash marks) and I am pretty sure the smoke is burnt oil. Any thoughts? Its a 5.3 with AFM. Thanks!

I have'nt seen that on mine, I've got the same year, engine, etc. I just turned 50K. I noticed some oil consumption in mine a while back and about 600 miles ago the dealer install the new valve cover and installed the oil sheild in the oil pan and so for it seems good. Have you had those items installed on yours?

I have'nt seen that on mine, I've got the same year, engine, etc. I just turned 50K. I noticed some oil consumption in mine a while back and about 600 miles ago the dealer install the new valve cover and installed the oil sheild in the oil pan and so for it seems good. Have you had those items installed on yours?

No I have not. What did that run you if you dont mind me asking? Mine just turned 60K

Thanks for the input so far. Thinking about getting a superchip and disabling AFM although I do like it aside from the oil burn. But if I was to take it in and try to get GM to attempt to fix the problem what kind of things should I expect from the dealer as far as my warranty goes? I do change my own oil and have changed my rear and front dif fluid along with my trans case. By doing these myself have I voided my warranty? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have never had a vehicle with a warranty still on it. Also, aside from burning some oil and possibly plugging some sensors and spark plugs, does burning oil like this have any real harm to the pickup? Thanks yall!

Archived