Can I tow a 6000lbs travel trailer (2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)

HI I just bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3l Vortec. I now realized that I have no transmission cooler, I got brake control installed. Everybody says I should have KC4, KNP or Z82 codes. When I look in the Dash I can't find any of these.

Should I be worried? I have 30 days to bring back the truck and trade for another one if I'm not satisfied.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI I just bought a 2009 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3l Vortec. I now realized that I have no transmission cooler, I got brake control installed. Everybody says I should have KC4, KNP or Z82 codes. When I look in the Dash I can't find any of these.

Should I be worried? I have 30 days to bring back the truck and trade for another one if I'm not satisfied.

. In your manual look up the towing section. There will be a list of engines , gear ratios, 2wd or 4x4 and if equpied with a tranny coolier. It should take you about 5 mins to find the information you need . Also is that the actual weight of your trailer or the dry weight?

Adding an auxiliary transmission cooler is easy and can be done for less than $100. Even if your truck was equipped with an OEM unit, I'd suggest installing a larger unit anyway.

If safety and vehicle longevity are of any concern, it's best to follow GM's recommendations:

"Silverado 1500 models are limited to 5000 lb. trailer rating unless equipped with (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, (Z60) High-Performance Suspension Package or (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package."

Towing without the "proper" equipment makes you a big liability target should there be a towing-related accident. You should also be aware the maximum weight-carrying limit on the 1500 is 5,000 pounds even with the correct towing package. So you still need to have a weight-distributing hitch in use for the trailer you are planning to tow.

post-112985-0-28850900-1334081084_thumb.jpg

The Dry weight of the trailer is 5500lbs...I do have weight distribution and all of the other equipment as I used to haul with a 2004 Chevy Avalanche and had no trouble. Gear Ratio is 3.42 and book says 6000lbs....I did find Z85 in the dash..

what to do?

Where are you - and where will you be towing? How long a trip do you plan? How many miles are on the truck?

Carl B.

There's no way I'd tow that much camper for longer distances w/o a trans cooler. Actually, to get the full tow rating on the 6L80 equipped trucks, GM also adds a motor oil cooler. Those come as a set w/ the "tow pkg". You may not need that last part, but you definitely need the aux trans oil cooler. I wouldn't be concerned w/ the suspension differences for towing (Z85 vs Z71).

The 9500 lb tow rating is the spec with both the transmission *and* the motor oil coolers w/ the 5.3L/6-spd/3.42 combo. GM doesn't rate the 5.3/3.42/6L80 with only the trans oil cooler (that I've seen). Are you certain that it doesn't have the coolers? Does it have the factory receiver hitch and prewired for a camper plug (7-way plug)? I've only seen those installed with the towing pkg, which includes the aux coolers.

The motor is a 5.3L/6 speed with 3.42 but doesn't have tranny cooler and does have factory hitch and plug... but could they have been put after the truck was bought...The truck has 85000km...and is in stunning shape..

Dealer says I can't get factory tranny cooler as you have to order the truck with it build in but can install an after market which will work as good as the factory one...

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow what should i look for when he runs the serial number with the specs...

GM makes an accessory trans oil cooler package that basically gives you the same factory installed pieces. It's relatively cheap as well.

Please stop going to that dealer. Your truck is not rated for 9500 lbs if it did not come with the Z85/Z82 combo package and if they don't know that then they need to stop selling vehicles because they could cause some serious damage giving people the incorrect tow ratings on their vehicles.

get a tranny cooler and firestone air bags on the leaf springs and you'll be GOOD!

i installed both of these on my dad's 04 silverado 1500 2wd and he tows a 26 ft boat with a WD hitch and brake controller like the big boys

I have an 08 silverado 1500 CC with 5.3/3.42/ tow package (z82/z85/KNP) and 4 spd trans. The owners manual does say with this combo the truck is rated for 9600# towing. I called my dealer and they confirmed this. I tow a 21 ft boat total loaded is just under 5000 lbs. The truck is plenty strong to pull it. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting near the 9600#, those numbers seem more in the 3/4 ton range for stability reasons.

Archived