1911 owners... questions concerns or fun lets make this long

i love 1911's. as far as advice on sights go, i have no clue. mine hasn't been touched since my grandfather brought it home from WW2. :M16:

That one you have is worth some money if he brought it home from the war.......Was it his issue pistol? Is there a special military logo on it? You may be holding onto a gold mine.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meprolight are the best day or night sights period! I personally like the one's with the cocking shoulder so you can one-hand it in an emergency. They may cost a little more, but like most things you get what you pay for! :M16::gmc:

Im going to be buying my first handgun in the next couple of months (waiting for the permit to come in) and im looking at the 1911's. My boss has and swears by the Kimber, he has a Kimber CPD and im going to shoot it before i buy anything. But i have been looking at the Smith & Wesson 1911, i really like the way they look, particularly in the matte finish. Can anyone give me some insight as to what they like and don't like about these guns. Also I would like to get the 22 conversion kit for what ever one i buy, i don't know if that would factor into what one is better or not. Thanks, Dave

Im going to be buying my first handgun in the next couple of months (waiting for the permit to come in) and im looking at the 1911's. My boss has and swears by the Kimber, he has a Kimber CPD and im going to shoot it before i buy anything. But i have been looking at the Smith & Wesson 1911, i really like the way they look, particularly in the matte finish. Can anyone give me some insight as to what they like and don't like about these guns. Also I would like to get the 22 conversion kit for what ever one i buy, i don't know if that would factor into what one is better or not. Thanks, Dave

I have the Smith & Wesson. I love it. Go through the thread I posted pics of it.

Sent from my PIECE OF CRAP DROID X2 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Any model Kimber 1911 is FAR superior to anything Smith & Wesson can offer.

Do yourself a favor and get a Kimber, everything about the pistol is higher quality and better than the S&W. You can tell difference in craftsmanship just by looking at the two. The Kimber pistols are also more comfortable to shoot and the ergonomics are great.

Don't waste your money on a thrown together Smith & Wesson 1911. The 1911 is a precision pistol and that's what you get from Kimber, the quality and craftsmanship is just a bonus. You'll see what I mean when you fire one.

Any model Kimber 1911 is FAR superior to anything Smith & Wesson can offer.

Do yourself a favor and get a Kimber, everything about the pistol is higher quality and better than the S&W. You can tell difference in craftsmanship just by looking at the two. The Kimber pistols are also more comfortable to shoot and the ergonomics are great.

Don't waste your money on a thrown together Smith & Wesson 1911. The 1911 is a precision pistol and that's what you get from Kimber, the quality and craftsmanship is just a bonus. You'll see what I mean when you fire one.

Completely agree. I want another 1911. My next will be out of the Kimber custom shop. Don't get me wrong, I love my S&W but I want a Kimber

The S&W is a great gun. Kimber is top of the line. Compare a CTS to a Malibu. Both may have leather but the CTS is better. It's all about your budget. I had a budget restriction when I bought my S&W. My particular S&W seen in this thread MSRP's for $1250ish i got it for about $900. If you can afford a Kimber then buy it. You wont regret it. If you want a good one and want to save a little money get the S&W.

I get what your saying, but according to the manufacture web sites, the kimber custom II is $842. The S&W's cheapest model is over $1000, just figured that with the price being more than the kimber it would be a better or a maybe on par with the quality of the kimber. But i guess I have to go to the gun shop to see the actual price of these guns.

I got mine for $895. Its up to the dealer. Check out budsgunshop.com they have a 1911 section.

I just got and worked up a load for a Kimber Stainless Target II in 38 Super. No I'm not abandoning the 45, i just wanted something different to play with. As a handloader the availability of factory ammo is of no concern to me. I have to say as a 45 fanatic, I'm liking the Super a LOT. I won't get into the Brand A vs Brand B but I think Kimbers are a lot of pistol for the $. I do have one gripe - this is the first 1911 I have bought in several years and I don't care for for the firing pin safety. It does not affect the trigger pull in the Kimber as it is activated by the grip safety, not the the trigger as in some brands. However, in order to remove the extractor, you have to remove the firing pin block mechanism which means removing the rear site. Don't care for that feature at all. Also I think the firing pin safety is totally necessary and lawsuit driven garbage, Anyway, I'm thinking maybe I should consider a 38 Super for a carry gun. :dunno:

I get what your saying, but according to the manufacture web sites, the kimber custom II is $842. The S&W's cheapest model is over $1000, just figured that with the price being more than the kimber it would be a better or a maybe on par with the quality of the kimber. But i guess I have to go to the gun shop to see the actual price of these guns.

Look around on Gunbroker to see what you can order one for. Then use that to deal at the gun shop or just do like did, buy it on the site and have it shipped to an FFL holder. Be sure to compare the total cost including shipping, FFL transfer (and tax if applicable) when dealing.

Thats not a bad idea, ill have to look into that. I am leaning towards the Kimber custom II. Like i said i will be shooting my forman's before i buy so i will be able to decide if i like it or not.

Archived