1911 owners... questions concerns or fun lets make this long

I have a Smith & Wesson 1911. whats the best sights to get. just curious. I love the gun. It has a tac rail on the bottom. My last outing with it left me putting a hollow point through an Xbox 360 and 24 regular rounds in a printer

aefdf1af-39b9-d31e.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the .45. I want to know that if someone gets in my house they arent getting out

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I've shot 45 ACP 1911s for years and reload 500 rounds at a time on a Dillon RL 550. I have other pistols also but it seems my Kimber Stainless Match is the one I always pick up when heading to the range. I may try a 38 Super next but that would be just for something different to play with because I would not set up the Dillon to reload the Super and reloading for pistol on a turret or single stage press is a pain - even though I did it for 20 years or more.

The best sights depend on your intended use - carry or target but in general the best sights are the ones you shoot best with.

I have two 1911's, I have a Kimber Tactical Custom II that I love more than anything as well as a Sig Sauer Tac Ops that's a beast. As far as sights go, it all depends on what you are wanting them for and what kind. Just more visible at any time, a night sight, combat type etc. both of my 1911's have night sights.

I have 8 books that I will demolish from this semester this weekend when I go out to my property with my arsenal. :)

Night sights would be nice. What brand and where to buy amd approx price...

And just remember this is a general 1911 thread.

Depends, I have a whole collection of 1911's and they all have various sight options, target, combat, hunting, etc. I used to think "night sights" were the $#&^. However I have found that in severe duty use they are a bit fragile. And if you are looking for someone else in the dark who is also looking for you, they are like little headlights that say, "over here!". Generally, not always mind you but generally if its that dark your either hiding yourself or using a light.

My favorite "carry" sight system at present is the set up used on the Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander. They are Novak sights with a brass bead front and a ultra wide rear. Apparently they have been unofficially termed "Gheezer" sights by Wayne Novak. It provides a very quick and positive sight picture, even in low light conditions, I really like them.

On my .45 Super Colt I have Bomar adjustable target sights. Now Bomar isn't around any longer but there are several quality copies out there and the current Colt Gold Cup Trophy or the "National Match" have a nice version of that sight set up.

Night sights would be nice. What brand and where to buy amd approx price...

And just remember this is a general 1911 thread.

Novak seems to go hand in hand with 1911s, I think that was the brand on the Sig 1911 I wished I never sold. From a functionality standpoint I like Meprolights. They're a bit blockier that other brands so you can work the slide without a second hand (against a boot or pocket) and they have a bold white circle around the tritium cell so they work well during the day too.

Kimber Custom 2 bought new in 2000. Got approx 8000 - 10000 through it (competition shooting) and all I have had to do was replace the springs. Still runs like a top! Bought new for 650$ Now they want 850$ new. lol

Maybe this will spark some discussion - What do you think of full length guide rods and external extractors on 1911s?

I think the full length guide rods do nothing, are not needed and make the pistol a pain to disassemble.

I think external extractors are unneeded, look ugly and generally detract from the pistol's clean look while providing no benefit, they belong on euro-pistols, not 1911s.

On some of my target pistols I like them for the added muzzle weight, makes recovery a little quicker while shooting speed drills and such. On my .45 Super it is pretty much required to keep the very heavy recoil spring in check and again add's a little to the muzzle. On a carry gun I think they are a waste of time. I have a newer Gold Cup Trophy that is amazingly accurate, shoots as good or better with the right load than a couple of custom built numbers I have and it has the standard short rod and plug in it.

Forgot the external extracter, waste of time in my experience.

I have a Smith & Wesson 1911. whats the best sights to get. just curious. I love the gun. It has a tac rail on the bottom. My last outing with it left me putting a hollow point through an Xbox 360 and 24 regular rounds in a printer

Hope you cleaned up the mess you made shooting that stuff..Hate it when I go shoot and there is household crap busted up lying all over the place, makes shooters look bad.

What type of night sights are you looking for, combat sights or precision shooting sights? ,

Trijicon and Mepro's are always a good choice of night site for any pistol. They are both very brite and last a long time. Only thing different is the Mepro's have slightly larger dots on them.

The XS Big Dot sights are another good combat sight, very large front sight. They are different though not being a 3 dot sight system.

1911's are great pistols and fun to shoot. You can customize them more than any other combat pistol on the market...You should get yourself a smaller compact or sub-compact model for carry, that way you don't have to carry that full size around all day.

I just picked up a Remington 1911 this spring. I have only put 100 rounds through it during a trip to the range but it was a joy to shoot. Looking forward to my next trip.

Archived