different truck

My friend is wanting to get a different truck he has a s-10 right now with the 4.3l in it and was thinking of getting a half ton with the 4.8 or the 5.3. He pulls nothing with the truck and does not haul much. Whats your opinion should he stay with a compact or go to a half ton if so what engine and gear ratio would be the best in your opinion? The vehicle will basicly be used to run back and forth to work about 20 highway miles one way, and it will also be used to deliver plants from his wifes greenhouse. thanks for the help

It depends on the age of the truck he is looking to get, somewhat. Often times the smaller trucks get equal fuel mileage to the half tons but the half tons have more pulling power, but small trucks are tons of fun too. If I were him I would go with the 5.3l and 3.73 gears which is stock on NBS Z71 packages. The 4.8 would do him well as well but you wont see as drastic gain in mpg if any. Anyone can correct me if this seems incorrect.

For what it's worth, I believe that he is better off with a newer full size truck rathen than an S-10 style. Brand new they are actually close in price range depending on packages and what you want. The way these things perform now, there is no way I would recommend a smaller vs full size truck. MPG and price being close, go wit ha "real" truck.

Hhr, the panel wagon, no windows, no back seat!

Anyways when i got my 5.3, 2011 the window showed better 3 mpg better then the 4.8

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Light/no load and freeway? I'd look at a 4.8/3.23 combo fullsize. JMO.

Archived