what a difference a 5.3l makes.

Today we brought our camper home from the campground,before we had a silverado with a 4.8l ,4spd,with 3.73s,now we have the 5.3l with 6spd and 3.42s,I know there is not a huge difference in horsepower between the two but I honestly can't get over how much easier our new truck tows the camper.Our camper is a 23ft coachmen and loaded weighs apx 5000lbs,this was a strugle for the old 4.8l,we had to make runs for hills and trying to drive at freeway speeds just about killed it.the new truck does this effortlessly,I was cruising on the freeway at 115km/h and it was almost like there was no trailer behind me,and the hills, I had no trouble maintaining my speed,it would simply drop one gear and fly right up over them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6.0L is even better. I imagine the 6.2L is better yet. I realize cost plays a big factor to some in chosing the engine, but ya still need to get the right engine for the job. I agree that the 5.3 is probably the best all around engine for economy and power. Good choice. :thumbs:

I would also think the 6 speed trannny is helping a helluva lot better than the slushbox 4 like I have.

Hey, don't be bashing the 4-speed. I love my slushbox... I mean 4-speed trans...lol

I'm not necessarily bashing it lol. It works well for me but a six speed is probably a bit better.

The 5.3L and 6 speed is a lot better than my 98 5.7L/4 speed was for power and gas mileage in the same configuration truck but the 6 speed thrashing around and constant shifting is a little annoying....

The 5.3L and 6 speed is a lot better than my 98 5.7L/4 speed was for power and gas mileage in the same configuration truck but the 6 speed thrashing around and constant shifting is a little annoying....

I am not an expert, but I betyou better get used to the 6 speed. With ever-increasing EPA requirements, transmissions with more gears are probably here to stay.

the 6 speed is WAY better. i dont even own one and im saying its better. the 4 speed are annoying on the highway, when you have to get on it to pass its has to shift to 3rd to move anywhere and it screams.. and if you hit a big hill.. back down to 3rd

Lock out the high gears in town. If I'm not on the highway the truck is in M4 or M5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived