how many MPG are you guys seeing with the newer diesels?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting about 5 to 6000 miles on the def, and living in Arkansas I hope not to have any freezing problems with it. I know that my tank does not have the extra heater in it that they have for the trucks shipped up north. My question to GM would be if I buy a truck in the south and move up north will they add the def tank heater for me at no cost? :jester:

Depends on a lot of things I think, how long your trips are, how long you let it idle. If you're towing makes a huge difference as well, the filter doesn't get as clogged if your runnin hot all the time so it doesn't have to burn off as much...a lot of city driving I don't think it would last as long...

And ya my dad gettin about 15000kms to a tank of def in his 6.7 power stroke

My work truck is a F350 with the 6.7 power stroke.

I'd be happy to get 5000 km out of a tank of def.

This stuff can freeze??? Good to know!

@ OP

One fill up is about 40 bucks I believe. (for the F350; I guess it is about the same for the GM diesel))

But still, you have to add it to the fuel costs.

so long

j-ten-ner

@ OP

One fill up is about 40 bucks I believe. (for the F350; I guess it is about the same for the GM diesel))

so long

j-ten-ner

The def can be purchased at autozone for $12 for 2.5gallons cheaper when on sale. The duramax def tank is 5.3 gallons so it should be $20 or so to fill it. My dealer said they fill it every oil change which is supposed to be around 7500 miles

@ OP

so long

j-ten-ner

Ya it can, I'll ask my dad again in pretty sure he said he got 15k Kms on a tank of piss.

My truck is a 08 LMM engine - My truck is mechanically stock. I have the optional 265/70 R17 factory size tire/rim combination and truck listed below.

I get about 19 mpg empty running about 65 mph on highway with moderate amt of hills / mountains from here to Roanoke VA.

I get about 13 or so stop and go local driving.

Here diesel is about 40 cents more a gallon over low grade gasoline.

I use Diesel Kleen just about every tank at close the proper ratio, I estimate amt used vs fuel added vs actual measuring; sometimes I run out so a tank is used w/o the additive.

I always change my oil and filters when the percentages reach 20-30% left and or mileage which ever occurs first as this truck will be my last new car I will ever be able to afford to buy so it is getting babied.

My truck is a 08 LMM engine - My truck is mechanically stock. I have the optional 265/70 R17 factory size tire/rim combination and truck listed below.

I get about 19 mpg empty running about 65 mph on highway with moderate amt of hills / mountains from here to Roanoke VA.

I get about 13 or so stop and go local driving.

Here diesel is about 40 cents more a gallon over low grade gasoline.

I use Diesel Kleen just about every tank at close the proper ratio, I estimate amt used vs fuel added vs actual measuring; sometimes I run out so a tank is used w/o the additive.

I always change my oil and filters when the percentages reach 20-30% left and or mileage which ever occurs first as this truck will be my last new car I will ever be able to afford to buy so it is getting babied.

That's good to know mine gets close to stock mpg! Also man if you wanna baby that thing, and you want it to last forever. Get rid of the dpf, egr and do the pcv re-route. And if you want more protection that that add Cat fuel filter update, it allows you to run a cat filter which goes down to a 5 or 2 micron...

This thread is why when I've been looking at diesels I've been looking at LBZ's and nothing '07.5 and newer. Don't want to have to deal with getting rid of all the EPA BS.

Depending on where you live, that is kinda irrelevant. lb7's are getting old, they have serious injector problems. Lly's have bad head gaskets, that can cost a lot of $$$$...

Lbz's are pretty good other than the EGR is still there, they are known to have bad water pumps, front hubs, tranny cooler lines and bad glow plugs. I think in the long run its still cheaper to buy a low mile used LMM, rip the DPF off.

I just got back from a 300 mile trip with both highway and in town driving and averaged 19.8 mpg with a 2013 3500 srw.

With lml?

I just got back from a 300 mile trip with both highway and in town driving and averaged 19.8 mpg with a 2013 3500 srw.

With lml?

With lml?

With lml?

yeah it has the lml. the truck only has 350 miles on it now

Archived