how many MPG are you guys seeing with the newer diesels?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2011 at 16,000 miles I am getting up to 19.8 mpg empty, on a 300 mile trip at 75 mph. Back and forth to work about 14 miles each way 9 miles at 65 mph and the last 5 stop and go small town runs as low as 12.5 mpg but mostly 15.5 mpg. I showed that low number that I got a tank or two ago that even had some highway miles in it, but I think it was the fuel.

Now pulling a trailer with some weight on it that is where I think my truck really shines, pulling a 35 foot gooseneck trailer with a Dodge one ton on it got about 14.2 mpg at 70 mph.

Your results may vary!! I have a hard time keeping the smile off my face and my right foot off the floor!! :jester:

Back when I bought my (then new)'08 with the 6.0L gas motor, I thought hard about a Duramax/Allison because I towed an open car trailer to haul my '87 Corvette autocross car. I went with the 6.0 because the dealer couldn't make me a deal on a diesel compared to what I bought.

I would still like one especially now that I have a 20' enclosed trailer and a higher total weight to tow. But right now the local price of diesel is still just over $4 per gallon while 87 octane unleaded is around $3.40 and dropping. I would suggest that you do some estimating on the cost of fuel for both a gas motor and a diesel. My '08 gets just over 14.5 overall for daily driving but when I tow, the mileage drops to around 10. And don't forget that mileage figures are inversely proportional to the weight of your right foot :driving::lol:

Well if you want to compare my '12 6.0 has recorded a 17.2 so far with 34" tires and I have a buddy with a new duramax that has recorded a high of 17.8.

Now of course the gap widens when towing, but we both agree the performance and fuel economy is basically the same unloaded. He loves his truck, but says if he didn't need it, he wouldn't have it.

For my opinion after a year of research, I wouldn't have bought the diesel even if it cost the same as the 6.0!

Now if this was 2005, my opinion would be different.

Or if I had a trailer over 10K, but I know I never will, and I guess I'm man enough to let the deush bag in a diesel pass going up hills when towing!

Well put it this way if you really need a Diesel then get one and dont worry about the MPG but a Diesel is 7200 dollars more and around 60-70 cent more a gallon and that can but you a hell of a lot of gas and only about 3-4 mpg's more the Diesel will get. If you figure the numbers with Diesel being 60-70 cent more a gallon the gas motor is amost cheaper to own in the differance between extra price of fuel for the Diesel and the differance between the gas motor getting less mpg's then the Diesel. Like I said dont get it if you dont need it.

I had a 04 Duramax when I towed heavy and after I stopped towing I couldnt justify keeping it just to drive around.

I can agree if you don't need it don't get it, but I live by the motto of "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." I will say that I "use" my truck 3 or 4 days every week, and sometimes every day but then I might go a week and never pull, push, or tow anything. I bought mine because of my rule and since it is the last new truck I will ever buy I got what I wanted! :jester:

HaHa!

This topic will never go away. I am completely happy with my L96. Jim is completely happy with his LML.

The moral- buy what makes you happy, because happyness is great, and Jim and I have a lot of other guys beat- no matter how much they spend.

Only you can decide!

11 and up on the hwy you should see 20 or better. I just took one on a 3 hour trip Omaha Ne to Kansas City. Driving 70-75 mph I hit as high as 23 but with city it dropped down to 20.7

Wow! that must be one flat highway- or dowhill!

That sucks diesel is more expensive than gas in the states. It's always 10-15 cents cheaper for diesel in Canada. I filled up today right from low fuel light for $100. Pretty good.

My truck will net me about (hand calculated) 18 mpg @ 105-110 km/h empty on a pretty hilly highway with the occasional pedal mash to pass someone. That's with 35x12.5" tires on a big wide heavy 20" rim on one of the hottest tunes on my switch, that being said I bet the rims and tires suck 1-2 mpg out if the truck easily. I found out it actually gets the best mileage on the hottest tune, I believe it's due to all the advance timing and fuel.

My last truck was an 06 1500hd 6.0, I had it tuned to the tits. Advanced the timing as far as possible running 93 and it was still a pig on fuel. Towing it was BRUTAL, it would get like 8-9 mpg LOL.

That sucks diesel is more expensive than gas in the states. It's always 10-15 cents cheaper for diesel in Canada. I filled up today right from low fuel light for $100. Pretty good.

My truck will net me about (hand calculated) 18 mpg @ 105-110 km/h empty on a pretty hilly highway with the occasional pedal mash to pass someone. That's with 35x12.5" tires on a big wide heavy 20" rim on one of the hottest tunes on my switch, that being said I bet the rims and tires suck 1-2 mpg out if the truck easily. I found out it actually gets the best mileage on the hottest tune, I believe it's due to all the advance timing and fuel.

My last truck was an 06 1500hd 6.0, I had it tuned to the tits. Advanced the timing as far as possible running 93 and it was still a pig on fuel. Towing it was BRUTAL, it would get like 8-9 mpg LOL.

Diesel on the east coast is 9 cents more per liter, and is consistantly higher than gas.

BTW, I used to live in Alberta, so I know all about the inflated MPG claims on those prairie hwys. So if you want to throw around some big mileage claims, based on my experience I'm positive my "new" 6.0 would pass 20 MPG on that trip from Fort Mac to Calgary. And no, I understand your "old" 6.0 couldn't.

Diesel on the east coast is 9 cents more per liter, and is consistantly higher than gas.

BTW, I used to live in Alberta, so I know all about the inflated MPG claims on those prairie hwys. So if you want to throw around some big mileage claims, based on my experience I'm positive my "new" 6.0 would pass 20 MPG on that trip from Fort Mac to Calgary. And no, I understand your "old" 6.0 couldn't.

I don't know man, I work out there I don't drive anywhere but from ft Mac to the mines. I'm talkin about where i live, north shore of superior. It's pretty hilly.

How are they inflated??? If that's what the truck gets, that what it gets. I don't understand.

OP is asking about what kind of MPGs the new diesels get, not the 6.0. I'm curious too. We know the 6.0 doesn't get as good MPGs as the diesels especially when towing. So anybody else with a new diesel have some MPGs info. Thanks.

OP is asking about what kind of MPGs the new diesels get, not the 6.0. I'm curious too. We know the 6.0 doesn't get as good MPGs as the diesels especially when towing. So anybody else with a new diesel have some MPGs info. Thanks.

Right, I was comparing my new 6.0 to my buddy's new duramax because someone else brought it up.

And don't blow it off just because you might want a diesel- it's a fact, if your comparing the newest gas and diesel models mileage is basically the same unloaded.

And Jim is really the only guy with a "new" diesel chiming in so far.

Archived