Silverado vs F150 Repairs

Do not know how much info they use for the totals in trips back to dealer

or if joining the site has any more info.

Thought it was worth posting though.

Direct link to truedelta.com at bottom...

Year Make/Model Repair Frequency Compared to all models for the same year 2012 Ford F-150 48

reliability-results-marker.pngFewest TripsMost Trips

see reported repairs

2011 Chevrolet Silverado (not HD) 21

see reported repairs 2011 Ford F-150 40

see reported repairs

2010 Chevrolet Silverado (not HD) 25

see reported repairs 2010 Ford F-150 36

see reported repairs

http://www.truedelta.com/Chevrolet-Silverado-1500/reliability-58/vs-F-150-87

Our local dealer sells GM and Ford. Last time I stopped by the Chevy side of the service department for some routine maintenance, the writer said, "you're damn lucky you didn't buy a Ford truck; they're having all kinds of problems on that side of the shop, and they can't fix them, either.". 'Nuff said.

Added Repairs to the title to clarify it a little bit.

Have heard issues with the CAC, a few failing turbos on the Eco boost & some problems regarding the 5.0.

Just not sure what specific issues with the V8.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I should post this here or not,(delete if need be) but the info is too good to pass.

First, not bashing Ford. The F150's look good inside & out(in my opinion), but the video(s) posted on this site will get your attention with regard to the eco boost. There is also one where he is speaking with a Ford rep that is about 10 minutes long at the second link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQqxtZZzYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ETmWNlCBE&list=UUZyhTzGnHXu0Lm3LEgy-gaQ&index=25

I understand most anything mechanical can fail from any mfg. but holy crap!

There are plenty of issues to go around on the Silverado-

1) cold tick at start up (requires replacment of oil pump and/or AFM valves)

2) Rough AFM transitions (no fix)

2) Sloppy six speed shifts (no fix)

Ask me if I have all three of these! (2011 Crew Cab 2WD-5.3)

GM Customer Service,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently on a trip across the U.S. pulling a travel trailer with my SIlverado. Obviously, getting the truck serviced and/or evaluated is a big pain right now. We will be in Raliegh NC in about a week. I am going to try to have a dealer look at it then. If I do, I will give you the particulars.

Thanks.

CKNSLS,

Feel free to contact me if you would like additional assistance regarding your concerns. Thank you.

We all have the above issues. I just had the valve issue repaired. Sloppy shifts, etc.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

GM Customer Service,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently on a trip across the U.S. pulling a travel trailer with my SIlverado. Obviously, getting the truck serviced and/or evaluated is a big pain right now. We will be in Raliegh NC in about a week. I am going to try to have a dealer look at it then. If I do, I will give you the particulars.

Thanks.

Thank you for the reply. Keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

There are plenty of issues to go around on the Silverado-

1) cold tick at start up (requires replacment of oil pump and/or AFM valves)

2) Rough AFM transitions (no fix)

2) Sloppy six speed shifts (no fix)

Ask me if I have all three of these! (2011 Crew Cab 2WD-5.3)

To correct those issues, I got a 6.2....it is like a completely different truck! The way it should be.

I havn't heard of any issues with the 5.0L and know 100% our 5.3 have more issues then that engine will ever have... Ecoboost is also a great engine as well, and will tow a trailer... lots of guys around here towing 7000lb 5th wheels with no troubles

The GMT 900 trucks have tons of issues too don't worry

Plus truedelta has more ford owners participating then chevy does... truedelta goes out and asks people to participate in inputing their data on the site, to me it's not all that accurate...

My truck has plenty of issues... and had issues before I bought it

I havn't heard of any issues with the 5.0L and know 100% our 5.3 have more issues then that engine will ever have...

Do tell? A Ford motor with no issues... what an idea! Oh wait, a quick Google says otherwise... http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=105452 ... and yes, there's plenty more where that came from. In fact, for everyone that worries about the 5.3 and "oil consumption", you may want to check this one out: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/305495-official-coyote-oil-consumption-poll-thread.html

I'm sure the Coyote is a fine motor, but it's not bullet proof.

Do tell? A Ford motor with no issues... what an idea! Oh wait, a quick Google says otherwise... http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=105452 ... and yes, there's plenty more where that came from. In fact, for everyone that worries about the 5.3 and "oil consumption", you may want to check this one out: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/305495-official-coyote-oil-consumption-poll-thread.html

I'm sure the Coyote is fine motor, but it's not bullet proof.

There is a Class-Action lawsuit being put together for over heating Eco-Boost motors that seem to overheat at idle.

The 5.0 on the other hand is a great motor.

To correct those issues, I got a 6.2....it is like a completely different truck! The way it should be.

That was an interesting fix! :)

There is a Class-Action lawsuit being put together for over heating Eco-Boost motors that seem to overheat at idle.

The 5.0 on the other hand is a great motor.

That was an interesting fix! :)

Sadly I wish the 5.0 had more hp. 360 385 torque is nice but i wish it was more!

Sadly I wish the 5.0 had more hp. 360 385 torque is nice but i wish it was more!

I wish it had more cubic inches. Know they get so much more out of smaller displacement motors these days, but still remember everyone thinking the 5.3 was going to fail at 270 hp & being that small.

As far as the 5.0 not having issues, there are videos posted of them knocking. The mile long timing chain scares me.

Eco boost with the above issues noted in the video, turbos, cac's on back order & on & on. Not knocking Ford drive line as I do not own one. There are some unhappy owners with their trucks from all mfg's sitting in a shop the same as owners here were with the 5.3 AFM.

As technology & government mandates increase, thinking the best truck is the one purchased from the dealer you trust the most to do the right thing by you in a worst case scenario...or a old one you can rebuild in your garage.

Archived