Windows 8

Recently I've tried out a few different machines with Windows 8 on them. To be honest, I don't really like it. I don't see what the point of the tile screen that replaced the start screen is. Yes, I realize it's laid out for use on a touch screen, but why not put it somewhere else, other than the start button? Navigation once in the touch screen layout is actually confusing to me, and I'm good at interfaces.

Windows 8 does seem to be faster, think how fast it would be if they'd left out the tile screens, which often contain feeds that I'm assuming would hinder performance. Someone told me the #1 program for Windows 8 so far was a "start screen" that was similar to previous versions.

What do you guys think of it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It boots faster. And I spend most my time on the windows 7 style desktop

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Do you mean the Windows 8 start screen? I'm personally running Win7 on everything, so I can't really "miss" it yet. I've worked on Win8 a little, and changed one to "Win7 mode" as a test. I've become more efficient w/ Win7 than *anything* prior, but that's on traditional desktop/laptops. I don't want to change, which is a first. Win8 tiles work much better for touch, but maybe a guy could learn to get work done on it too. I haven't yet played w/ a Surface, but have a few touch laptops.

In windows 8, if you press what used to be the start button, it takes you to the tile screen. I like how everything is a button away in 7, just press start and there's everything.

OK... got it. I haven't used it enough to try customizing the new UI to what I'm used to. A nice feature of Win7 was the ability to dock applications to the taskbar or start menu. Even so, I use Rocket Dock (free) for quick access to most stuff. I have it set to the left side of screen, and to auto-hide. Works great.

Maybe they'll release a "Windows 8 Frill Free" that will exclude the tile screen in favor of a traditional start menu. I would like the faster boot times of Win8, I'm just not interested in the tile screen for my laptop.

I have win 8 on my laptop and like it, however I am running startisback to get my start menu back and "hide" the tile interface from even appearing unless I want it to. With it set up this way it functions just like a win 7 computer, but with noticeably faster performance.

If you happen to have a copy of it laying around maybe. But I wouldn't mind buying a machine with Win8 because of the 2 posts above yours. As long as I have a start menu I'm happy, and it is faster from what I've seen so far. Hopefully it doesn't rot like Vista did.

Archived