7 Pin

Just bought a 07 Silverado 4.3 WT and it has a 7 Pin Trailer connection. Does this mean I have the set up for trailer brakes? If so How do I verify that and how do I use it?

You still need to wire up a brake controller. I had a 7 pin tucked under the bumper from the factory. I have to wire a brake controller in to the fuse box for the electric brakes to work

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

The Dude - Great Movie!! So can I use a aftermarket with GM setup?

Did your truck come factory with the brake controller?

If you get a good brake controller it should come with all the instructions and wiring you need. I haven't put one in because my horse trailer is 7 pin and only has emergency breakaway brakes. And the boat is 4 pin. Go with something like the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 and follow all instructions. I will personally be going with the P3

There should be two wires you have to connect to the studs under the front of the fuse box cover under the hood and 4 blunt cut wires tucked up under the dash for the controller wiring. There are a couple threads on here on how to do it just search for them.

There should be two wires you have to connect to the studs under the front of the fuse box cover under the hood and 4 blunt cut wires tucked up under the dash for the controller wiring. There are a couple threads on here on how to do it just search for them.

Thank you Ian!

• 2 weeks later...

The Prodogy P3 in the way to go IMO. You can also buy it ready to hook up to the fuse block....plug and play. You may also need to install a 40 Amp fuse in the Fuse Bock if you want a constant 12 volts at the 7 pin.....I needed it to keep a charge on my camper battery being I tow with the fridge running.....(my '06 was under the hood, I believe "Stud 1")

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back, Need a lot of help. Prodigy P3 and harness comes tomorrow. I want a simple install and the constant 12v hot for the trailer as I will be towing this

2012-07-13_09-28-41_830_zpscd06c509.jpg

You have a junction box above and to the left (I think) of the brake pedal. The harness should plug right in there. You'll have to remove a cover.

Is that the only thing that has to be connected? I didnt have the factory tow package. I added a Reese TowPower hitch and a Hopkins flat 4/RV 7 plug. The wire for the Hopkins plug was zip tied from the factory to the frame by the bumper

You may need a fuse underhood to send 12V to the charging/supply wire on the 7-pin. I'm on my phone right now but there has to be a guide to installing a brake controller somewhere on here.

I looked but mainly I am finding GMT-900 stuff. The install video on an 05 from etrailer.com just used a plug and play harness

Archived