Automatic Headlights

My brother in law asked me to post this question. Is there any way to set the headlights on a 2011 Sierra or Silverado to where they don't come on automatically when you start the truck? It aggrivates him to have to turn them off after starting the truck in the daylight. Half the time he forgets, and so do I, and ends up driving around burning up the lamp life on his headlight bulbs. Thanks for any feedback. I'm pretty sure there is no way to set them to not come on automatically, but figured I'd ask.

I assume he is referring to the daytime running lamps? He could try pulling the fuse but with all the idiots driving and not paying attention, I would leave them on, bulbs are cheap.

I installed a green led light right by the switch wired to fuse panel under the hood for the DRL. This way I know when they are on. I don't mind running around with them on but hate them on when I'm out hunting. Did it on my last pickup works good that way I know if they are on in case I forgot to turn the knob when I started the pickup.

I never have any of my vehicles in motion without the headlights on (of course with the motorcycles I don't have the choice). I lose a headlight bulb about every two years or so. I consider that cheap for the extra visibility/safety it provides, even in daylight. To each his own.

There has been a write up on this, where you remove the sensor cap on the dash, cut the wire remove the sensor, and replace it (solder it) with a certain ohm resister which keeps the light off. The dealers know how to do this, and provide this service to all law enforcement vehicles.

Archived