5.3L vs. 4.8L engines

Time to replace my '04 GMC Ext cab with something as little newer, targeting 09-'11's right now. Looking at a 1500 4wd crew cab short bed mainly, trying to settle on engine I want. Ruled out 6.0L, no need for that much power or the resulting mileage and higher initial costs so mainly looking at 5.3L trucks. Mostly running some highway and a little City, but do pull a small aluminum boat regularly during duck season (14ft).

Is there a major difference in these two for my desired application? Is the mileage that much different? Only real constant topics I see are the oil use issues on the 5.3L '09's, is there anything else I shoudl be aware of? Small price difference between the two, but not a lot (~$800)

Thank you!

5.3s are by far more common and I'm not convinced the oil concerns are as widespread as some on here would like you to think. 46k on my 2011 with no troubles and the 6-speed is worth any extra cash over the 4-speed.

I have a 4.8 in a 2007. I pull a 2,000 lb camper occasionally. It works fine. I got the 4.8 because it was significanly less than a 5.3. If the prices were pretty close I'd get the 5.3. I am pretty happy I don't have the AFM. Chances are you won't have a problem, but this way I don't have to worry about it.

I have the Crew cab, 3.73 rear end. Mileage averages in the 18s - 50/50 highway and city.

4.8 with 3.73 axle. Gas mileage is 15 around town 18 highway. cruise at 85mph no problem. dont tow so cant talk about that. acceleration is great even with the ext cab and 4x4. Bought new in 2001 plan to keep it as long as it dosent rot.

Ram still has a lousy transmission behind it until the 8 speed is widely available. I do like a lot about their trucks but their new "six" speed isn't anything more than their lousy 5 speed reprogrammed.

Ram still has a lousy transmission behind it until the 8 speed is widely available. I do like a lot about their trucks but their new "six" speed isn't anything more than their lousy 5 speed reprogrammed.

I'd trust the Ram 6 speed before the lousy 4l60e... And all my buddies with ram's are gettin like close to 2 mpg better on the highway then I am doing about 70+mph and me at about 55-60mph... Not to mention GOBS more power!!

I had a 4.8. It was just ok. I am the second owner of my truck. The guy before me was an elderly man who just used it as a daily driver. He did not tow. The 4.8 was capable and would get decent mileage on long road trips, but hook a semi heavy trailer to it and you get 8.1L mileage. I ditched the 4.8 and dropped a 6.0 in and only lost 1 MPG on Highway and 1 on City

I have a 4.8 and don't see any drawbacks with it. I have hit 21 MPG on a trip in winter. The '10 and up 4.8's are 302HP and are VVT motors. I tow a fiberglass bass boat and it does great. I also have 3.23 rear gears (or whatever number the lowest (tallest) gears are).

I'd trust the Ram 6 speed before the lousy 4l60e... And all my buddies with ram's are gettin like close to 2 mpg better on the highway then I am doing about 70+mph and me at about 55-60mph... Not to mention GOBS more power!!

I don't care about fuel mileage and their "6" speed is still the same exact five speed they've used for ages. It's only a six in manual mode. Otherwise, it's the same old lethargic, sloppy trans as always. I'd avoid the 4-speed too, I feel the 6L80 does a much better job of putting the power out. Like I've said before, the oil concerns on a 5.3 are overblown- there are probably a couple million AFM 5.3s on the road by now and if it were that bad something would've been on the news already. The media loves to bash American automakers, it took the Toyota acceleration suit to get them to even begin covering the import trash the same way they do the American brands.

4.8 4 speed s rated for 19 hwy. 5.3 is a six speed in any truck '09 and newer. it's rated for 21 hwy. don't worry about oil consumption or any of that stuff. find the cleanest truck you can, regardless of engine you should be fine. and don't buy a dodge or ford, just get a GM, it's a better truck.

Archived