GM Tech and Avid Silverado Truck Owner Newby

Hello Everyone. Seems like a great forum here for GM trucks. I am have been an ASE Technician for several GM dealerships for about 16 years and love GM trucks. I recently bought a 2008 Silverado with the LY5 5.3 engine and it was already outfitted with a few custom exterior mods. I wanted to swap out the 26 inch U2 wheels when I bought the truck used but they have grown on me after I turned down the dealers swap wheels. I am looking to do a Comp Cams camshaft swap and headers with a cat delete. The truck understandably being heavy is still sluggish on the lower end. Looking to gain a little knowledge here and improve the truck. Hope to gain a few friends here and look forward to helping where I can.

Thanks for the welcomes! Carder im not much on tall rims either. I am a 47 year old white man. I kind of got stuck with these because the dealer lied about the rim swap so unfortunately had to keep them. They look ok up close. Wouldnt look any good on any other body but this one with the huge deep fender wells. Ive tried to trade them off for some nice alloys but all I ever get is junk trades. One day well find a ncie set like I want but for now I am going to try and help the performance of the 5.3 with the sluggy bottom end. Thanks again!

Thanks for the welcomes! Carder im not much on tall rims either. I am a 47 year old white man. I kind of got stuck with these because the dealer lied about the rim swap so unfortunately had to keep them. They look ok up close. Wouldnt look any good on any other body but this one with the huge deep fender wells. Ive tried to trade them off for some nice alloys but all I ever get is junk trades. One day well find a ncie set like I want but for now I am going to try and help the performance of the 5.3 with the sluggy bottom end. Thanks again!

Re-gearing would help with the power loss. I would just think that your turning radius and handling would be null .

Re-gearing would help with the power loss. I would just think that your turning radius and handling would be null .

The wheel size is a misperception. Gearing would help with performance and thats also a thought but as a daily driver I dont want to sacrifice top end fuel mileage since its my daily driver. In reality the 26 inch wheel with a 305/30 series tire is only 1/2-1 inch taller than a 17-20 inch wheel with a 70 series tire. Handling is firmer with the 30 series because it doesnt give like a 70 series and suprisingly the wheels are lighter than an alloy 20 inch with a radial 70 series tire so the ride compared with a heavy extended cab is very smooth and handles great. A low profile tire handles better than a high profile tire on these extended cab trucks related to the extra weight, there is no give in a side wall so the spongy feeling is not there as long as the shocks are in top shape. I know little of whats going on inside the computer but I am going to plug a tech 2 up in a couple of days and find out. I have a coil dropping out on one cylinder and I assume that has partial to do with the low end power. I believe a camshaft, springs, and a mild stall with a computer tune will wake it up dramatically.

I am an avid drag racer as well. I have a 95 Z28 big tire camaro with an LT1 396 SBC stroker and run a 5.14 gear with 33X17 inch wide slicks. Now thats a tall order for a gear and a tire. lol

Sweet, I was thinking about if you had "rubber band tires" on after I posted that lol. But the Camaro sounds awesome!

Haham yeah they ARE rubber band gay tires. I feel like I need a big bumping stereo playing rap music or mexixan restaurant music while Im driving. Im trying to sell these for 2000 dollars and if I can get that I can buy nice brand new chrome wheels and tires like I want.

Glad you like the Camaro! Thats my bad boy and hoping to get it done soon! Thanks Carder

Nice to have another tech on board! Welcome

Like to know there are other Techs on here as well. Every have any questions, shoot. I like your truck. What setup is in that bad boy?

If you can deal with a little down time, there are new GM take offs on ebay. Sell your 26's first, then it creates the budget on what take offs fit the pricing? Am sure you have thought of it, just did not see it mentioned.

When's the cam swap for your truck? If you can get that 2k for your old rims, I thin you should have plenty extra for some performance mods, at least an black bear tune!

Archived