well my dad (a lifetime ford guy) finally stepped it up to a gm truck. he just bought a 2011 gmc sierra 3500 short bed with the large 4 door cab. it has 24000 miles on it and drives great. i never really got into the diesel trucks because i cant afford one. this is his first one as well. what are we in for, beside alot of torque. it will be his daily driver(all highway) and on the weekend it will tow my race car to the track(untill my truck is fixed).as far as towing it will be about 2 weekends a month and sometimes alot of hills and other times not so much hills. all depends on which track we go to. im just looking to see if there are any common problems or recalls and if so what we can do to avoid them. we know about the exhaust fluid setup so theres no need to explain that. any info would be great

Fuel and go!!! You will always have some problems some big some little, but when you go with the Dmax you can have a smile on your face (most of the time). I have just over 30,000 miles on mine and have had two real problems out of it. First was at less than 3,000 miles a DEF tank issue and then at 28,000 dealer replaced water pump due to leaking seal. And my one screw up of knocking a hole in the DEF tank!!! I don't go around off roading the truck and I do not rememeber running over anything, but the dealer and or GM picked up 1/2 the cost of a new tank but it was still $600.00, I just spent $300 on a DEF tank skid plate so I don't do that again. Just got back two weeks ago on a 800 mile trip 1/2 pulling 20,000 lbs at 65 mph got ave 10.0 mpg. Not bad considering when I pulled the empty sail to where I picked it up running 70 to 75 mph I only got 8.8 mpg!!!!

:jester:

• 2 weeks later...

apparently there are some poor quilty def fluid light issues with these trucks. hes owned its for 2 weeks now and has yet to make a complete trip with out that light/check engine light on. its only been at the house twice. im starting to think its a lemon at this point. hes giving the dealer one last shot to fix it. theyreflashed the ecm this time. so we shall see what happens this time.

Rip that emissions shit off if you can. DPF and egr throw it in the garbage. Don't look back. It's only gonna cause issues down the road, which GM will look for every reason to not warranty. Better off to just take that crap off and do pcv reroute too.

Archived