No Fuel on Start. 1993 Rally STX 5.7 (TBI) 82k mi

MikeSp

Question

When I turn on the key, I have no fuel into the TBI. I have fuel pressure into the regulator. I disassembled the regulator and did get it started. went to get fuel and when I tried to start it again, have the same problem. I have 12vdc at the injector contacts. Would like to know what I should be reading through the ECU. Didn't find any defects in the regulator, should I rebuild it anyway?

Any help with this would be appreciated

MikeSp

3 answers to this question

I have changed the filter. When I do get it started, The injectors give an initial burst of fuel into the TBI when the key is turned on. no start if I don't get fuel when the key is turned on. The regulator is part of the fuel injector assy. I crack the pressure line and get fuel when I turn on the key. just don't get fuel into the manifold most of the. I'm suspecting the Engine Control Module, but Trying to find out what my meter reading should be from the injector plug through the ECM.

You don't mention it, but, have you changed fuel filter yet? Anytime you get a fuel issue on a fuel injected engine, always verify the fuel filter first. If you don't recall when it was changed, take a look at the outside of filter, if it looks old, change it. You also do not mention the fuel pump. Does it make the normal noises?

Can you check for fuel at the throttle body? Injectors will only pulse while engine is cranking/running, and you should be able to hear them while cranking with either a stethoscope or long screwdriver with metal end touching injector, handle held tightly to your ear. You should be able to hear the injector pulsing while engine is being cranked over.

If injector is pulsing, but no fuel is coming out, check for fuel at the injector. If no fuel at injector, follow line back to regulator and check for fuel at all three connections. A regulator that is stuck open(as in dumping fuel back to tank, try to block the return line to tank and see if you now get fuel to injector.

Fuel pressure/supply issues on EFI engines is about the easiest area to diagnose. To put it simply, check for presence of fuel, then quantity of fuel, then distribution of fuel.

Archived