Ecotec (Not to sure)

jman_07

Thinking about looking into this 2014 silverado with this new 5.3l Ecotec. It really worries me though if you have ever read an article called the big bang where they took a vortec 5.3L and pulled about 1300 horsepower out of it.

I mean are these new ecotec motors even capable of supporting turbos superchargers. And the biggest one what about strokers what are the chances of stroking an ecotec motor to a 383 stroker. And from what i know about vvt you are limited to what kinds of cams you can put into the motor i mean you can put a huge out of this world cam where the truck barely wants to stay running or am i wrong?

It just seems like you can do anything to the vortec motors fuel injectors pistons strokers cams etc.. So my question is it worth buying this new engine if there is not going to be unlimited things you can do to this motor like the previous vortecs?

Give it time and the aftermarket will be just as good as with past motors. The benefit to the trucks sharing engine design with the Vette and other to fast stuff is the parts bleed over to trucks eventually. The potential of direct injection alone should be enough to sway people on the fence.

Just curious why your obsession with a 383 is? A 383 is 350 punched out .030 over and a crank from a 400 SBC. I"m sure it will be able to punch these motors out and stroke them but you may not get a 383 (it's entirely possible that you can but there will probably be endless combinations of different things you can to which result in various displacements).

If the displcement is the same as previous 5.3's you can get a 383 from it. The guy who did my gauges has a 5.3 stoked to 383 a its blown. Its a common stroke point for the 5.3. Just like with a 6.0 when you stroke you can get a 402 or 408 depending on how far you want to go

Put an LS7 into it :) (7.0L / 427cu-in, 505 HP). Or like the guys said, get the 6.2L (already 420HP/460TQ) and bolt on a supercharger (the aftermarket will have all of the parts available) and go for ~640+HP (ie: ZR1 Corvette w/blown 6.2L). Or keep going. The sky is the limit. Go as fast as your pockets are deep :).

The 6.2L would be the ideal motor but i like to build my motor up and i have always liked the 5.3L like i said i just hope they come up with a big boy cam which you know at idle it barely wants to run im sure as the motor is out more somebody will build this thing up with a big stroker and tons of boost making well over 1000 horsepower.

The only reason for the post was to just make sure you can do as much to this motor as you could with the vortec class of engines.

Yeah, forget about stroking a 5.3--that would be a huge waste of money. If you want to go nuts with HP, get the 6.2--it has more advantages than simply more displacement (much better heads, higher compresssion ratio, etc).

The 6.2 will surpase 500 HP easily without even removing the heads and 600 HP without touching the bottom end (heads/cam only). That's without any turbo or blower. The sky is the limit with this engine.

If the displcement is the same as previous 5.3's you can get a 383 from it. The guy who did my gauges has a 5.3 stoked to 383 a its blown. Its a common stroke point for the 5.3. Just like with a 6.0 when you stroke you can get a 402 or 408 depending on how far you want to go

There's more to it than just starting with the same displacement. You have to worry about how think the cylinder walls are, did they move the water jackets inside the block, can the necessary crank fit (they added oil squirters so there has to be holes and passage ways in the block for it to travel through and you have to grind on a lot of shit when you're building a stroker motor. I should know I built one for my Camaro). There are so many variables that we just don't know because they are so new...

I was going off readings and by no means am I an expert. The only internal engine work I have done is on diesels. My expertise is also in the gen 3s. I know the logic and theory. My gain in power was ditching the 4.8 and dropping in a LQ9 6.0 and now I am researching a 6L80 swap as are a few others.

Archived