2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

8 hours ago, 16LT4 said:

Si.  I kept the Airaid tube (stock box and filter) but ditched the airbox mod.  My fuel costs, so far, have decreased by a third as a result of the un-modification. 👌

Interesting.

All that comes to mind would be velocity vs volume.

8 hours ago, 14burrito said:

Interesting.

All that comes to mind would be velocity vs volume.

By this morning, including some several near-full-throttle acceleration events, downshifts, and miles driven, fuel mileage increased 40% post-un-mod, hitting 16.4 mpg from its airbox-modded 11.8 mpg.  The truck stays in V4 longer, even at 30 mph uphill drives in 5-6th gear.  Note, this isn't an improvement over stock, just returning to stock.  I predict, as a result of opening up the exhaust flow by deleting the flapper valve (which was freezing shut and choking the flow), total mileage will increase slightly over what it was before any modifications.  I don't ever remember hitting mid-16s on winter morning commutes in the last 30k miles, and that is with increased wind resistance due to front level kit and bull-bar installation.

Stoichiometrically it makes sense, as more air needs more fuel, especially when said air is denser (winter), I was just surprised the difference is so pronounced.  Before the airbox mod, guys said they saw anywhere from minimal drop to actually gaining mileage, because "the engine makes more power and doesn't use as much throttle pedal application to accelerate."  Well, in this little anecdotal data point, that hypothesis is junk science.  I only regret not checking fuel trims before-after to see what's going on on the fuel map, but the fuel savings is telling me all I need to know.  The shape of the in-fender air intake may very will actually improve velocity/flow, acting as venturi; just guessing, but I'd love to see a flow experiment.

With fuel prices as they are and the weather starting to warm up during the day, I'm switching back to E85 this afternoon and taking a 400 mile trip to work at back tomorrow and will report back on the effect of that mileage.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

While I enjoyed the sound and perception of improvement of the Air Raid JR, the wife and little sleepy passengers did not. So, I’m selling it, fully assembled and shipped, and going back to stock. Current price at Jegs/Summit is $160. PM me for details.