2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

I cannot find any review on the GM drop in filter 84520923 other than it is outrageously expensive. Ok to assume that GM is just pricing because they can, and there are no tangible benefits to this drop in filter? My understanding it is disposable under regular intervals, not washable or extended run? Has anyone tried to measure this filter. I am very curious in OEM accy's as my prior experience with GMC dealers was abysmal to say the least and that if you do not want to take CAI and filters off the truck every time for service, you choice is to pay GM prices while truck is in warranty. 10% increase at 99.5% efficiency is easily beat by almost any other aftermarket intakes and filters. I have searched but cannot locate good analysis on this filter. 

Thanks for pointers!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Do you have a link to the results? I have been looking for data everywhere, I heard that it was good but Blackbear Performance told me that that Airaid Jr had zero impact on performance during their dyno tests of CAIs.  

1 hour ago, bsprtsgrp said:

The Dyno results are very good with the stock OEM Airbox with a K&N drop-in filter and the Airaid MIT.

OK, now I get it, so this is stock filter with Airaid MIT but there used to be with K&N drop-in. Now I understand. 

Just now, bsprtsgrp said:

it's not showing the MIT & K&N drop-in data any longer...it's just showing the stock OEM set-up

On 6/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, dvzzz said:

Thanks. Do you have a link to the results? I have been looking for data everywhere, I heard that it was good but Blackbear Performance told me that that Airaid Jr had zero impact on performance during their dyno tests of CAIs.  

the Air Raid JR works great, the reason there is no improvements is because there is a restrictor panel inside the OEM airbox next to the fender, so airflow will not jump up unless you pop this piece out.

Edited by flyingfool

• 3 weeks later...

American Trucks did a video showing the gains from an AirRaid MIT only on a 14 Silverado. Seemed to make a small difference. I am probably going to throw one on and keep my paper filter.

10 hours ago, flyingfool said:

at the 6 minute mark the moron kid, sprays lubricant oil on the MAF sensor. insane... how did they get 20 hp? lol everyones a sales man these days

it isnt 20hp to the wheels it is from the curve gain

45 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

what's curve gain?

He explains it around the 0:45 sec mark of the video. Basically it's the gains in efficiency showing up with better throttle response, better acceleration. Since the top end HP doesnt change much just from the tube, this will be the difference you feel. It is the highlighted area in this picture.

Capture.JPG

when i get free time I can data log the intake manifold pressure and the MAF sensor, before and after.. with the stock vs the Air aid JR.  vs restrictor panel removed , then swap in a 6.2 TB and 6.2  manifold.  would make for a cool thread here one day

Edited by flyingfool

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, flyingfool said:

the Air Raid JR works great, the reason there is no improvements is because there is a restrictor panel inside the OEM airbox next to the fender, so airflow will not jump up unless you pop this piece out.

Dyno, otherwise you've got nothing.