What's with Titan and Tundra?

mike94silverado

I know neither are going to be a major player anytime soon and I don't want to get into a brand fight but Nissan left Titan to wither away and now they are going to redo it with a Cummins... Toyota was going to take on the big 3 in 07 and now they warmed over the truck and although a legit choice, without touching the powertrains they are going to be a distant 4th.... It's like they are switching roles lol

There are no details on the upcoming Titan aside from it offering a diesel. I'll be interested to see how that drives since it should have some power unlike the Ram which is just a diesel for tightwads.

I don't get the Tundra. Before it had bland styling and a lousy interior. Now it has a lousy exterior and a decent interior.

The bottom line for the Japanese vs Domestic trucks is actually very simple. The Big 3 have always made a good product, which also contained multiple versions for the consumer. So the Japanese did not have a advantage they had in cars. The big 3 car choices were hit or miss, take a look during the mid 90s. The only cars I wanted in 1996 were Corvette,Camaro/Firebird,Mustang,Impala, (Viper), all the other cars were just okay, then you compare the rest of the fleet(mostly FWD) with other cars from the Japanese makers and what you ended up with is a lot of Japanese cars that had better reputations, and lower prices(granted they were basically appliances with no soul,but a lot of people just want a car to go from A to B). But when you look at the full size trucks the big three actually made some good product and the Japanese did not have anything to really compete. Now you look at today, and do the comparison they are all pretty well matched, but specifically the Japanese are not a much better product. So you then take in brand loyalty, products that are basically pretty darn good, multiple choices to look at, you will have people returning to your brand, and not feeling they have to look somewhere else. In my case I first had a 1995 Camaro, then bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, traded in the Jeep for a 3/4ton 2001 Suburban, sold the Camaro(wife bought me a 68,which is still in multiple parts), got a 2005 Dodge Caravan, sold the Suburban, got a 3/4ton 2006 Silverado, traded in the dodge for a 2008Chrysler minivan, then lastly traded in the Chrysler and got a 2011 Chevy Traverse. So today I have a 2006 Silverado, 2011 Traverse, and in parts a 1968 Camaro. So to end this because the Japanese truck did not come out with something that was so much better than the current trucks from the Big 3, they missed out. Most truck buys looked and said, ok, that's cool, but it's really no better than what I have so, no thanks. Hope this makes sense.

The New Titan was due out a few years ago. It was going to be a rebadged Ram. From what I've read, When Fiat finished buying Chrysler the deal fell through, and Nissan had to start from scratch on their own. The all new Titan will be out in a year or two.

Hereabthe thing, remember when the last from scratch Titan showed up? Its capabilities were pretty impressive. They did their research by doing stuff like going to state fairs, 'merican gathering places(Pro football tailgate parties, etc asking truck owners what they liked and hated about their trucks.

That might happen again, they are sitting back watching Ram, Ford, and Chevy and will have a year to course correct any bad or unpopular ideas just like last time, with 4 years before the rivals will release a new model.

I read that Toyota will consider 3% of market share a success with the 2014 Tundra, a far cry from when the Larger Tundra hit the market in 2007. It sounds as if they've all but thrown in the towel. While still a worthy truck, hardly something that would make anyone leave the brand they currently support. Toyota knows what market they're good at and focuses mostly on that. They own the midsize truck market, but that only accounts for less than 2% of the overall truck market...Toyota is happy with that.

I would not say that Toyota is "happy" with the results, I believe they started to have a groupthink mindset like the old GM, and was in the mindset of "build it & they will come". What they did not realize was that the big 3 pickup trucks were all pretty darn good. Also they had stated they wanted to bump out GM and Ford from the #1 spot. Look at their product line, some are good but most are just on par, they no longer have a real advantage in quality/price point.

Archived