4wheeler or side by side?

It depends on how you want to ride. 700 Grizzly has good power from the low end up to the midrange and kinda falls flat at top end. The Outlander will definitely be faster. Sounds like you really want the Can-am. I was looking at a used 850 Sportsman recently at a local dealer and sat on it and thought, man this would be nice. But 8K for a used machine is simply not in my budget but I wish it was. I think the power is just about equal to the 800 outlander. I remember one of those comparison videos Polaris had and they raced the machines for a certain amount of time, 10 seconds I think. The 850 sportsman and the 800 outlander was a dead heat with the 700 grizzly being several quad lengths back. Not sure if the 850 sportsman or Kawasaki Brute Force were on your list but that's 2 more that you could possibly consider. You really can't go wrong with any of them, they're all great machines.

Yeah man you're right on the Outty. Hopefully I can get it on Wednesday, if not I'm probably just gonna get the Grizzly. Grizzly probably be more durable, less problems, and pretty fun. I hear a lot of people say, the Grizzly would be perfect if it had about 20 more HP or so. It's hard to say no to all that power Can-Am has.

I'm not interested in the Polaris. Some things I don't like. Look cheap looking and that big shifter looks stupid. Brute Force is a solid machine. Great low end power/torque. I just hear the suspension is not too good.

Sometimes you're better off buying new instead of used. Specially if it's 7K or more.

You never know I might get something else. If I did, might it'd be a Brute. I've came off Hondas. I love their toughness. Their new Foremans are pretty sweet looking. Just wish they add more power to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man you're right on the Outty. Hopefully I can get it on Wednesday, if not I'm probably just gonna get the Grizzly. Grizzly probably be more durable, less problems, and pretty fun. I hear a lot of people say, the Grizzly would be perfect if it had about 20 more HP or so. It's hard to say no to all that power Can-Am has.

I'm not interested in the Polaris. Some things I don't like. Look cheap looking and that big shifter looks stupid. Brute Force is a solid machine. Great low end power/torque. I just hear the suspension is not too good.

Sometimes you're better off buying new instead of used. Specially if it's 7K or more.

You never know I might get something else. If I did, might it'd be a Brute. I've came off Hondas. I love their toughness. Their new Foremans are pretty sweet looking. Just wish they add more power to it.

Yeah that's the thing Yamaha and Honda refuse to up the power output and put in a bigger twin cylinder like the rest. I heard a couple years ago that Yamaha was going to come out with a 950cc v-twin side by side but they have only came out with the Viking which still only has a 700cc single in it. You can probably get a new brute force for around 8k or so, maybe less if you find a leftover 2013 model. One thing about the brute force is that is weighs quite a bit less than the outlander so the power to weight ratio is probably pretty close. The one thing I hate about the brute force is that silly diff lock lever that you have to pull back and hold like a brake lever to lock in the front axle. Grizzly has a diff lock button and outlander has the visco lock which automatically progressively locks the front axle.

Yeah that's the thing Yamaha and Honda refuse to up the power output and put in a bigger twin cylinder like the rest. I heard a couple years ago that Yamaha was going to come out with a 950cc v-twin side by side but they have only came out with the Viking which still only has a 700cc single in it. You can probably get a new brute force for around 8k or so, maybe less if you find a leftover 2013 model. One thing about the brute force is that is weighs quite a bit less than the outlander so the power to weight ratio is probably pretty close. The one thing I hate about the brute force is that silly diff lock lever that you have to pull back and hold like a brake lever to lock in the front axle. Grizzly has a diff lock button and outlander has the visco lock which automatically progressively locks the front axle.

Yeah I know what you mean man. I don't like that front lever for the Brute for that diff lock. I don't understand why a button is not there or something. I like the Grizzly's 4WD setup is real nice. I might see what I can find on a Brute.

I may be the only one out there but I really don't mind the lever on my prairie. I guess I've never been stuck in such muck that I'm jumping side to side trying to free myself. If you think about it, how often do you need full lock? Most of my riding is 2wd anyways

Sent while drinkin' a cold one...

I may be the only one out there but I really don't mind the lever on my prairie. I guess I've never been stuck in such muck that I'm jumping side to side trying to free myself. If you think about it, how often do you need full lock? Most of my riding is 2wd anyways

Yeah you're right on on that. When do you actually need that diff lock? Mud or going over rocks, logs or steep hills.

Hopefully, I'll have a new 4wheeler by tomorrow evening!!

Yeah you're right on on that. When do you actually need that diff lock? Mud or going over rocks, logs or steep hills.

I also heard on the Brutes that their downhill brake assist is very prone to failure

Got my new Grizz today!!!4ytamu6y.jpg

Looks good. In my opinion the Grizzly is better in every respect than the outlander except power. I have heard the 2014's do have more power. Same engine, Yamaha figured out how to get more power out of it. Since its the same engine as in the Viking, they needed to do something if they were going to stick with a 700 cc single cylinder or still have a very slow newly designed side by side just like the rhino. I've heard it doesn't help much at top end but low end and mid range are supposed to be noticeably improved. 65 mph is still pretty fast but its not 75-80 like the outlander would do. Probably fast enough for a utility atv anyway.

I had a 660 grizzly before and there are a few times that diff lock was the difference between making it and winching out. I remember one steep, muddy hill that diff lock was the only way to climb it because where it was, you couldn't just get a run at it and use momentum. Yes, if you don't go through much deep mud, diff lock won't be used much. Honda still doesn't put it on any of their models. They claim their 4x4 system is sufficient without a diff lock option. Id recommend getting a winch if you don't already have one. Even if you don't get stuck, you might need it to pull someone else out.

I had a 660 grizzly before and there are a few times that diff lock was the difference between making it and winching out. I remember one steep, muddy hill that diff lock was the only way to climb it because where it was, you couldn't just get a run at it and use momentum. Yes, if you don't go through much deep mud, diff lock won't be used much. Honda still doesn't put it on any of their models. They claim their 4x4 system is sufficient without a diff lock option. Id recommend getting a winch if you don't already have one. Even if you don't get stuck, you might need it to pull someone else out.

This model year the guy at the dealership told me they started putting the diff lock on one model to try it out. I forgot which one. My prairie is severely underpowered so I have a winch on it already lol. Don't have to worry about power no more though, I have an Outty!!

Archived