Haha Cracked dash now... I give up.

2010 models had a defect in the dashboard which caused them to crack after a period of time. Neighbor's uncle works at a Chevy dealership and asked him if his dash had cracked yet and within the week it had cracked. Happened a few months back. He was out of warranty but got it replaced for free since it was a defect in the manufacturing process. Not sure if it will but I hope this helps if it happens again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish gm would cut it out with the cheap plastic

sent from my truck in a field

That's why I loved my old 02 Yukon Denali XL that I just sold when I got my 14 Sierra. That old thing (I say old cause it was ridden hard) never gave up and never broke at all. Only thing that ever broke on it was the black bumper cover but that was only cause someone ran into the back of it

Nationalminer84,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with you vehicle. I understand that you are weary about contacting GM Customer Care. I cannot guarantee any cost assistance but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Yeah right.. you people had me go to the dealership and look like a fool while I had them take pictures of my peeling wheels, and take off of work to do so all the while make it seem like you care and nothing......That run around cost you my business. I committed to buying a competitor's pickup today to replace my malibu. I wanted a Sierra but cannot and will not spend my money on this "quality"... (and with all the complaints on the 14 forum it's still the same) still have my 2010 and it's fine now that I fixed it, still keeping it for the work truck but that's not the point. DASHES SHOULDN'T CRACK at 4 years/36,000 Miles.

Nationalminer84,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with you vehicle. I understand that you are weary about contacting GM Customer Care. I cannot guarantee any cost assistance but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Yeah right.. you people had me go to the dealership and look like a fool while I had them take pictures of my peeling wheels, and take off of work to do so all the while make it seem like you care and nothing......That run around cost you my business. I committed to buying a competitor's pickup today to replace my malibu. I wanted a Sierra but cannot and will not spend my money on this "quality"... (and with all the complaints on the 14 forum it's still the same) still have my 2010 and it's fine now that I fixed it, still keeping it for the work truck but that's not the point. DASHES SHOULDN'T CRACK at 4 years/36,000 Miles.

For start, as previously stated, the dashes around that time had a structural defect that, over time, led the dash to crack. GM changed out hundreds of thousands of dashboards with the problem so idk why you didn't get yours changed out like most others did, for free I might add.

Also you make it sound like the 14s are nothing but trouble. Correction, the 2014s are incredible trucks. I have one, do you? No, so the way I see it, only one of us has the real ability to give a reliable assessment of the 2014 truck. Also keep in mind that the 2014 trucks are a first year run of a brand new body style, brand new technology. If you try something new is it perfect the first time and everytime after that? Most likely not. So the first year run of any new model vehicle is the same way. Hundreds of thousands are built and even with just one there are hundreds of things that could go wrong, so the chances of every truck being perfect are so minuscule that a new number would have to be created to describe it. And also if you continued to look at the K2 forum section, you'll notice that there are several threads of people talking about. A ) how much they love their 2014. B ) that they would definitly buy a 2014 GM truck again if they had the ability to change their decision or do the same thing again. And finally, if you are so displeased with your 2010 and the service that you are recieving from GM dealers, why are you bringing it up on this forum and not with the manager of the dealership or the area manager? You know, the people who can actually make a huge difference at the level of the company that you are so displeased with.

For start, as previously stated, the dashes around that time had a structural defect that, over time, led the dash to crack. GM changed out hundreds of thousands of dashboards with the problem so idk why you didn't get yours changed out like most others did, for free I might add.

Also you make it sound like the 14s are nothing but trouble. Correction, the 2014s are incredible trucks. I have one, do you? No, so the way I see it, only one of us has the real ability to give a reliable assessment of the 2014 truck. Also keep in mind that the 2014 trucks are a first year run of a brand new body style, brand new technology. If you try something new is it perfect the first time and everytime after that? Most likely not. So the first year run of any new model vehicle is the same way. Hundreds of thousands are built and even with just one there are hundreds of things that could go wrong, so the chances of every truck being perfect are so minuscule that a new number would have to be created to describe it. And also if you continued to look at the K2 forum section, you'll notice that there are several threads of people talking about. A ) how much they love their 2014. B ) that they would definitly buy a 2014 GM truck again if they had the ability to change their decision or do the same thing again. And finally, if you are so displeased with your 2010 and the service that you are recieving from GM dealers, why are you bringing it up on this forum and not with the manager of the dealership or the area manager? You know, the people who can actually make a huge difference at the level of the company that you are so displeased with.

I mean seriously I have a grand down on a Ram right now they are just trying to find it for a dealer trade... I have driven plenty of 14 GM trucks. I have evaluated them the best I can without owning one but you can't tell me I have to buy it to get a good feel of it. I like the GMC. I'll admit the pricing is a huge factor but the fact that GM doesn't give a damn after 3/36 on a truck I plan on buying after the lease does weigh on my mind. Chrysler covered a ECM for me 9k past warranty on my 02. That weighs on my mind too.... I love GM trucks.I really do but being strung along on those wheels really bothers me. I would have probably given them a chance to make it right on the dash but I had a solution staring me in the face so I took it. I'm keeping my 2010 until the wheels fall off and Leasing a new truck for my wife, keeping the Malibu for a run around car.

and Mike1220, I'm not trying to come off like a jerk to you I'm really not. I'm glad you love your truck. that's what it's supposed to be. I love the 14 sierra but GM won't get in the game price wise with the lease and I can't afford to buy it outright until I sell some property.... If I took 50% of what it's worth it more than buys out the lease so I'm going to lease it until I can buy it out.

It will take a few people getting hurt or killed when the air bags end up getting punctured by the sharp edge for the crack that occurs right next to passenger air bag. Look how many people died just recently due to the key issue. It takes someone DIEING before GM will even admit there is and issue. That what make me so damn mad.

It will take a few people getting hurt or killed when the air bags end up getting punctured by the sharp edge for the crack that occurs right next to passenger air bag. Look how many people died just recently due to the key issue. It takes someone DIEING before GM will even admit there is and issue. That what make me so damn mad.

I know... I had a 2000 Ram same issue and that was my first thought.... I suppose you can get hit by any flying object in a wreck but a stressed dash is a starting point.... the one from my friend's 12 had the reinforcement... after we glued the crack from the back you couldn't even tell

I also had a small crack that was about 2 inch's long that started at the defroster vent. Nobody had ever noticed it because it is not very obvious but it bothers Mr cause i know it's there. I didn't want to put a dash cover on but i didn't want to set the crack neither. I took a small amount of two part epoxy and filled in the crack and smoothed it out before it cured. After it dried a took a black sharpie and colered it in. To be honest it's almost invisible unless you really look hard for it. It's been a couple months since this repair and it still looks good. Im sure this wouldn't be the way to go if it was cracked badly but for this small crack it worked better than i ever thought it might. J Kicklighter

Still bothers me that it cracks at all the dash should be a lifetime part... Sounds like even some of the reinforced dashes are cracking too... It wasn't a bad job to replace but not like I want to do it again

• 4 months later...

I have started a complaint about the cracked dash on All GM vehicles with the NHTSA.org.. (national highway transportation and Safety)

Please put your i for on the site as well! It is the only place to get GM to listen! This is a manufacturing problem and needs to be recalled for repair! The common denominators: happens in the same position, upper left passenger airbag area, and usually from 12/48 months, all types of GM vehicles! Where is the crash test that shows this crack has not compromised the safety.. Ie, could there be a shrapnel effect if dashboard breaks when airbag engages in an accident? Where is the statement from GM saying that the airbag is not compromised sue to this crack? Either give us these two in writing from GM or recall the damn thing and stand behind your product with all of us! GM is aware of the defect and offers a 75% coat replacement..but why should we have tonpay anything to her this replaced? I can't stress enough for all of you to place your VIN # Make and Model and Year and your dashboard problem on

the NHTSA.org site even if u no longer have the vehicle or repaired the problem!

I switched it out this spring GM customer service was a waste of time for those wheels so I wasn't going there and end up with little or no assistance for a new dash that may crack again I'm buying the plastic glue on cover next time if it cracks again....

Have my 2013 Silverado in for the 5th time with an engine knock the dealer sez they can't hear

It is a lease, which unfortunately, I'm likely gonna buy out.....have too much invested to walk away. It's not a bad truck....still don't care for the 6 speed tranny. We recently traded my Wifes Saturn for a Nissan Maxima......had Nissan years ago and was happy with it, so we're giving it another go. My Wifes Saturn was a great car up to around 50k, which seems to be the point where, in my experience, most GMs start falling off.....when we traded hers in it had $1200 worth of Oil Leaks that needed to get done.....$200 in TPMS system repairs.....recently had 3 Power Door Locks replaced.....and at the time of trade, had 56,000 miles on it. I know warranties are 3/36, but some things just should not happen to vehicles at such low mileage......just my opinion

Archived