95 K1500 4L60E to 5 speed manual questions

So, what would this take? When I look I see transmissions with and without integral bellhousing... what do I need? And really, exactly what will I need to do the conversion? Will I be able to use the transfer case, or do...

in my opinion there is no reason to go through all the head ache of finding a swapping all the parts to go manual. to do a good clean swap you will need:

brake and clutch pedals and brackets

clutch master and slave cylinder

transmission, bell housing, clutch, flywheel.

clutch lines

steering column and instrument panel from a manual truck,

transfer case may interchange but will need drive lines.

Computer will need changed.

cross member usually needs changed

I think its only reasonable to swap if:

A: you have a parts truck that will have everything you need

B: its a offroad toy or beater and you dont care about the little things.

The trans you would be swaping in is a nv3500. Its a okay transmission but not really that tough. It was used in s10, jeep, and light duty full size. It you wanted something tougher you better option would be a nv4500 (its a 5 speed but first gear is granny low, so its good for off roading but really only has 4 usable gears) these came in the 3/4 and 1 tons. another option would be a borg warner t5. They are tough and common to find, how ever I dont know if they were available in 4wd vehicles, so you may have to make a adapter for the tcase.

The gm automatics are all quite strong and if you do break one replacements are cheap. Through a shift kit in it and a extra transcooler and you probably wont ever need another one. If you really feel that you need something stronger I would recommend upgrading to a 4l80e auto, they will be easier to find all the needed parts to swap and will be less work.

Unless your truck is something really special, another and probably the best option if you insist you need a manual trans is selling your truck and buying another.

The manuals aren't real common but if you save a little money and can be without a truck for a week or two you can probably sells your truck and find a 5spd truck. maybe upgrade to a 2500 or one in better condition.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I want to manual swap a 95 or 96? Think it's a 96 GMC Silverado 1500 with a fully bored out 383 stroker. I was talking to my mechanic friends and everyone said the nv4500 (would be my go to) is more of a diesel tranny meant for lower torque, and it would not be the best idea?! Any input??? Thanks!!! - Stephen

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2014 at 2:25 PM, matt123 said:

Unless your truck is something really special, another and probably the best option if you insist you need a manual trans is selling your truck and buying another.

The manuals aren't real common but if you save a little money and can be without a truck for a week or two you can probably sells your truck and find a 5spd truck. maybe upgrade to a 2500 or one in better condition.

What about the wires for back up lights 

On 4/1/2014 at 2:23 PM, matt123 said:

in my opinion there is no reason to go through all the head ache of finding a swapping all the parts to go manual. to do a good clean swap you will need:

brake and clutch pedals and brackets

clutch master and slave cylinder

transmission, bell housing, clutch, flywheel.

clutch lines

steering column and instrument panel from a manual truck,

transfer case may interchange but will need drive lines.

Computer will need changed.

cross member usually needs changed

I think its only reasonable to swap if:

A: you have a parts truck that will have everything you need

B: its a offroad toy or beater and you dont care about the little things.

The trans you would be swaping in is a nv3500. Its a okay transmission but not really that tough. It was used in s10, jeep, and light duty full size. It you wanted something tougher you better option would be a nv4500 (its a 5 speed but first gear is granny low, so its good for off roading but really only has 4 usable gears) these came in the 3/4 and 1 tons. another option would be a borg warner t5. They are tough and common to find, how ever I dont know if they were available in 4wd vehicles, so you may have to make a adapter for the tcase.

The gm automatics are all quite strong and if you do break one replacements are cheap. Through a shift kit in it and a extra transcooler and you probably wont ever need another one. If you really feel that you need something stronger I would recommend upgrading to a 4l80e auto, they will be easier to find all the needed parts to swap and will be less work.

What about the back up lights