1990's engine identification help???

I just bought a truck and the guy gave me a 1990's truck engine in with it. He said it was from a 1996 but I want to check

The only thing I know about the engine is it is a 5.7l. I have looked it up to check but couldn't find anything

This is want I found on the back of the block

GM 5.7lg

SGI

CK194

Thanks

• 4 years later...

I bought a 98 Chevy Silverado has a plastic breather box on top of throttle body with VORTEC on it. Guy I bought it from said it was a 5.7 VORTEC  however.... I spunt a rod bearing or two lol

Anyway.. I pulled engine out to replace crankshaft and all the bearings ( rod and mains ) put it on my stand and look down to 

" GM LG 5.0 SGI " ?? both sides have the numbers 878 on heads on the right side back of block has numbers 10243878.. can anyone please help with just what I do have here ??

Edited by Rag Man
Forgot to say it said 5.0

Rag Man, sounds like you have a 305 (5.0 liter) and not a 350 (5.7 liter).  I've never actually looked at a 305 block, but all of the 350's I've seen have 5.7 cast on them.

On the truck's radiator cross-support, is the sticker still there that shows the belt routing diagram?  It should say 5.0L or 5.7L, well that would be what originally came in the truck, and the PO probably removed that if it said "5.0L".  Maybe he just didn't know and thought all Vortec's were 350's.

Even the V-6's had "Vortec" on the plastic breather box.

Edited by TW97C1500
typo

When you have the oil pan off, measure the stroke.  Don't quote me on this, I forget the exact numbers, but a 305 will be 3.06 (3-1/16") and a 350 will be 3.56 (3-9/16").

Maybe it is 2-15/16" for a 305 and 3-7/16" for a 350.

Or maybe it is 1/32" either side of 3" and 3-1/2".

Heck, duh, the easy way to say it is if the stroke is roughly 3" you have a 305.  If it is roughly 3-1/2" you have a 350.

• 2 years later...