1500 or 2500

Personally, I'd rather have a 6.2 in a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 with a 6.0. Many guys love their 6.2s that tow with them. Your trailer is within capability of the 6.2 also. I wouldn't even consider a gas 3/4 ton, gutless and terrible MPG, but that's just me. Now if you're think diesel, I say go for it. But, ultimately I believe the 6.2 max trailering would fit the bill fine.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt you never mentioned what other options are important to you. Are you looking for completely loaded with every option? When compairing the 1500 vs 2500 there are several things (already mentioned) the 2500 will have standard for much better towing (assuming you tow a fair amount).

When I bought my 2500HD Denali I knew I wanted something with ALL the bells & whistles and that was capable of what-ever I needed of it. Before buying I did compare it with a 1500 Denali with the 6.2. I picked the HD over the 1500 knowing the 1500 had more HP and a smoother ride but the 2500HD will tow anything I will ever tow and stop what ever I tow with out being concerned and the price was equal MSRP on the same optioned trucks. I never even considered a DMAX due to price (that's a lot of miles to drive to get that money back).

As for MPG, best I've seen is 16.5 during warm months and 9.5-11 during the cold months (most days I put ~10 miles on so that hurts my MPG) My BIL has a '14 2500HD DMAX and gets 14-16MPG and 22-24MPG on the Highway. His truck is kept inside a heated garage so no warm-up time when at home (lucky bastard)

Matt you never mentioned what other options are important to you. Are you looking for completely loaded with every option? When compairing the 1500 vs 2500 there are several things (already mentioned) the 2500 will have standard for much better towing (assuming you tow a fair amount).

When I bought my 2500HD Denali I knew I wanted something with ALL the bells & whistles and that was capable of what-ever I needed of it. Before buying I did compare it with a 1500 Denali with the 6.2. I picked the HD over the 1500 knowing the 1500 had more HP and a smoother ride but the 2500HD will tow anything I will ever tow and stop what ever I tow with out being concerned and the price was equal MSRP on the same optioned trucks. I never even considered a DMAX due to price (that's a lot of miles to drive to get that money back).

As for MPG, best I've seen is 16.5 during warm months and 9.5-11 during the cold months (most days I put ~10 miles on so that hurts my MPG) My BIL has a '14 2500HD DMAX and gets 14-16MPG and 22-24MPG on the Highway. His truck is kept inside a heated garage so no warm-up time when at home (lucky bastard)

I am in the market for a Danali, I could go 1/2ton or 3/4, they are the same money, I am picking the truck with the big guts under it for the same money. When did a 1/2ton start costing $56,000...

Personally, I'd rather have a 6.2 in a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 with a 6.0. Many guys love their 6.2s that tow with them. Your trailer is within capability of the 6.2 also. I wouldn't even consider a gas 3/4 ton, gutless and terrible MPG, but that's just me. Now if you're think diesel, I say go for it. But, ultimately I believe the 6.2 max trailering would fit the bill fine.

I would rather have the 6.2/8speed myself but I need a real chassis under it, a 1/2ton will get its ass kicked trying to pull heavy. There are guys out there that are over heating the trans on the 1/2tons.

I am looking at a fully loaded LTZ 4X4. I drive 30,000 miles a year for work. My work does not need a truck, its just what I like to drive. Plus, family vacation in the RV is very important to me and not worrying about if my tow vehicle is capable is important.

Does he really see over 20 MPG with the DMAX on the highway? Also, would love to see a pick of your C2 :D

Does he really see over 20 MPG with the DMAX on the highway? Also, would love to see a pick of your C2 :D

I was shocked when he told me his MPG on the Highway :omg: but for another $8500.00 for the D-Max it was not worth it to me as I put on maybe 8,000 miles per year.

As for my C2......she is very camera shy :)

IMG_2366_zps79538578.jpg

But I did catch her checking on my new truck last summer.

photo_zps5928bc42.jpg

Opinions are opinions...I have a 2015 hd 6.0...not gutless for sure. Gotta love those 4.10 gears... 6.0 is a great engine.

I was shocked when he told me his MPG on the Highway :omg: but for another $8500.00 for the D-Max it was not worth it to me as I put on maybe 8,000 miles per year.

As for my C2......she is very camera shy :)

IMG_2366_zps79538578.jpg

But I did catch her checking on my new truck last summer.

photo_zps5928bc42.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. C2's are the ones to have.

I agree that the 6.2/8-speed combo would be beastly. However, the newer 6.0 gasser is no slouch. 365 HP and 385 TQ with 3:73's or 4:10's is plenty of guts for most people. And, they only get 1-2 mpg less than my current truck.

My BIL has a '14 2500HD DMAX and gets 14-16MPG and 22-24MPG on the Highway.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that one. I think he's exaggerating a bit because he's jealous that he spent $8000 more on an engine that gets the same MPG as your truck, haha. The newer diesels have tons of power, but don't get the mpg they used to...unless you spend a whole lot of money on them.

Opinions are opinions...I have a 2015 hd 6.0...not gutless for sure. Gotta love those 4.10 gears... 6.0 is a great engine.

I agree. My dad's old 2011 with 3:73's could blow the doors off my current truck...and his 2015 with the 4:10's is even quicker.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that one. I think he's exaggerating a bit because he's jealous that he spent $8000 more on an engine that gets the same MPG as your truck, haha. The newer diesels have tons of power, but don't get the mpg they used to...unless you spend a whole lot of money on them.

No need for him to lie or be jealous......and his truck is not totally stock :D If I had his money I could burn mine.

Maybe gutless was the wrong word. However, the current 6.0 has similar power numbers to the current 5.3 correct? The 6.0 is in a much heavier truck. Difference is gearing.

Archived