1500 or 2500

I would be ok with a detuned, direct injection, HD version of the 6.2. Somewhere around 400 HP and 440 TQ would be just fine...especially if you could get 4:10's with the 8-speed. I really hope they wouldn't have AFM...but it's possible. I'd probably turn it off one way or another.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they do offer the 6.2 in the HD'S I would be surprised if it was detuned from the 1500's. Maybe detuned and no AFM.

Well, the AFM might be turned off, but you can bet the guts will be the same. I have been around OEM assembly operations for a lot of years, and one thing that they do is standardize on component builds whenever they can. They are not going to build a 6.2 without AFM guts and build others with them. They will standardize on 6.2 across the board when it comes to internal components. They most likely will have different tune parameters. But, it is one thing to turn off AFM in the ECM, all the while the inherent problems that can occur with the AFM lifters is still lurking. Might be better, but still will not be bullet proof. Just too many unanswered questions to cause me to wait for one and take my chances. The new 6.2 Ecotec does not have a long track record yet to make any definitive judgments on. The 6.0 is a solid motor. It doesn't take a lot to make it perform as well as any 6.2 in terms of power and torque if one wanted that. Lots of performance mods available for the 6.0.

I would be ok with a detuned, direct injection, HD version of the 6.2. Somewhere around 400 HP and 440 TQ would be just fine...especially if you could get 4:10's with the 8-speed. I really hope they wouldn't have AFM...but it's possible. I'd probably turn it off one way or another.

You may need the Vette LS3 - Me too

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls3.html

The LS3 was introduced as the Corvette's new base engine for the 2008 model year. It produces 430 bhp (321 kW; 436 PS) at 5900 rpm and 424 lb·ft (575 N·m) at 4600 rpm without the optional Corvette exhaust and is SAE certified. The block is an updated version of the LS2 casting featuring a larger bore of 4.06 in (103 mm) creating a displacement of 6,162 cc (6.162 L; 376.0 cu in). It also features higher flowing cylinder heads sourced from the L92, a more aggressive camshaft with 0.551-inch (14.0 mm) lift, a 10.7:1 compression ratio, a revised valvetrain with 6 mm (0.24 in) offset intake rocker arms, a high-flow intake manifold and 47 lb/hr fuel injectors from the LS7 engine.

Well, the AFM might be turned off, but you can bet the guts will be the same. I have been around OEM assembly operations for a lot of years, and one thing that they do is standardize on component builds whenever they can. They are not going to build a 6.2 without AFM guts and build others with them. They will standardize on 6.2 across the board when it comes to internal components. They most likely will have different tune parameters. But, it is one thing to turn off AFM in the ECM, all the while the inherent problems that can occur with the AFM lifters is still lurking. Might be better, but still will not be bullet proof. Just too many unanswered questions to cause me to wait for one and take my chances. The new 6.2 Ecotec does not have a long track record yet to make any definitive judgments on. The 6.0 is a solid motor. It doesn't take a lot to make it perform as well as any 6.2 in terms of power and torque if one wanted that. Lots of performance mods available for the 6.0.

For sure I'd exect the internals to be the same. Really, all the difference I would expect to see is in programming.

You may need the Vette LS3 - Me too

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls3.html

The LS3 was introduced as the Corvette's new base engine for the 2008 model year. It produces 430 bhp (321 kW; 436 PS) at 5900 rpm and 424 lb·ft (575 N·m) at 4600 rpm without the optional Corvette exhaust and is SAE certified. The block is an updated version of the LS2 casting featuring a larger bore of 4.06 in (103 mm) creating a displacement of 6,162 cc (6.162 L; 376.0 cu in). It also features higher flowing cylinder heads sourced from the L92, a more aggressive camshaft with 0.551-inch (14.0 mm) lift, a 10.7:1 compression ratio, a revised valvetrain with 6 mm (0.24 in) offset intake rocker arms, a high-flow intake manifold and 47 lb/hr fuel injectors from the LS7 engine.

Do you mean that you would need the LS3 to get the power I wanted? You're aware that the new 6.2 in the 1500 trucks puts out 420 HP and 460 Torque, right?

DUH me .. Though I was thinking without AFM with that HP ... ... also just found out the new EcoTec3 name - live & learn
GM 6.2 Liter V8 EcoTec3 L86 Engine

The L86 V8 engine is produced by General Motors for use in pickup trucks and SUVs. It is part of GM’s Gen V Small Bock engine design that’s known in trucks as EcoTec3, replacing the Vortec line.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l86/#ixzz3RDS5Hyp1

You do know that GM has made the same engine before with and without AFM right?

I really don't know or care if the use AFM as I will have a tune turn it off regardless.

LS3 non AFM and L99 AFM (Camaro 6.2 engines)...L99 has the VLOM, and AFM lifters, and LS3 does not have AFM lifters and the VLOM. Basically the same engine. So, non AFM engines do not have the same components as AFM engines.

Best example off the top of my head but there are others.

I do know that standardization in vehicle assembly is also the order of the day. It is very doubtful that GM will produce two different versions of the same displacement engine. Might happen, but doubtful. To that end, more than a strong possibility the engines will be the same, maybe with only ECM changes. For me, not even interested in playing that game of Russian Roulette. Will get one of the 2015 2500's I am looking at this week and stick with the engine that has a solid, proven track record. May not have all the oohs and aahs of a 6.2, but if I need more power, the 6.0 is a solid base to do wonderful things to, like blower, headers, etc. And done right, would destroy a stock 6.2.

More trans gears are always a good thing. That is why I have an 18 speed in my semi truck. Versatile for every situation I need the truck for. Still think that for the gasser, they will still have to keep the rear low. Not sure it would be a good thing to go taller on the diff ratio like they have done with the 1500 series pickups. To that end, I wonder how much the 8 speed would benefit over the current 6 spd. The top ratios in there are the same I believe. It would only mean something on the bottom. And with something like 4.10, the current 6 speed offers some pretty good start off grunt.

More trans gears are always a good thing. That is why I have an 18 speed in my semi truck. Versatile for every situation I need the truck for. Still think that for the gasser, they will still have to keep the rear low. Not sure it would be a good thing to go taller on the diff ratio like they have done with the 1500 series pickups. To that end, I wonder how much the 8 speed would benefit over the current 6 spd. The top ratios in there are the same I believe. It would only mean something on the bottom. And with something like 4.10, the current 6 speed offers some pretty good start off grunt.

I was going to joke about the number of gears on how they should just make it like 18 wheelers and have a secondary trans so why not a 16 or 24 speed (8 in main and 2 or 3 in the secondary). From trying out trucking and doing local delivery I haven't had to drive a truck with more than 10 speeds. An ex co-worker told me he used to drive a dump truck and it was an 18 speed. I could be wrong but I've basically assumed that the final gear ratio is about the same between a 10 and 18 speed, the 18 speed just started lower and the ratio of the gears are closer to help control heavier weight. So pulling a regular van trailer a 10 speed is fine but a flatbed or heavy haul I would probably want an 18 speed. Hell the only time I would put the 10 speed in 1st was a real heavy load and at a stop going uphill.

Yeah, generally, the final gear ratio on a 10, 12, 13, or 18 is the same. It is the flexibility in the bottom and the middle that makes the difference. And how that all plays out is dependent on the diff ratio. It is one thing to get a 400 RPM split between gears and quite another to get a 200-250 RPM split between gears, like the 13 and 18 gives. On a tough pull, that little bit of RPM difference can make a huge difference on keeping things moving in the best RPM band of the engine. And it doesn't apply only to heavy haul. I pull 53' dry boxes, and there are numerous times where being able to split the bottom and the top like I can with the 18 makes a big difference. Is it required to get the job done? No. Is it great to have it when you need it? You darn bet! Even with something like the 13 or the 18, most times full shifts are done just like one is using a 9 speed. But it is sure nice on occasion to be able to split those full shifts in half. Most folks with a 13 or an 18 are not using each and every gear, each and every time. Split shifting, full shifting, and skip shifting go on all the time and how it is done is dependent on the situation at the time.

A whole different ball game from the pickup kind of thing where the trans starts at the bottom and goes thru each gear all the way to the top. Some drivers never develop a knack for using 13's or 18's. It takes a knowledge of the relationship between the engine, trans, diffs, grades, and loads. It can be very unforgiving thing for a new driver. That is why many fleets will not spec the 13's and 18's.

I agree 100%. I think we feel the same way about final drive ratios. I'd love to see 4:10's with the 8-speed in the HD gassers. With a more powerful engine, that would be a blast to drive. It would have gobs of power on the bottom end, and actually be able to hold top gear on the highway...even with bigger tires. That would be sweet. I realize it has the 8-speed, but I can't believe the 1500 max tow 6.2 only has 3:42 gears....and if you get a Z71 with the 6.2, you're stuck with 3:23's. That's a bummer.

I think it will matter most on the way up. It will not have near the RPM drop between gears so that the engine can stay in the optimum operating band more frequently.

Archived