I was told by a guy in calls that in that price range the Blaupunkt would be the better deal, and the Apline's around 200 probably wouldn't have nearly the same value. If you guys know about Deck rating, take a look for me and tell me which is better for what reason! :crackup:Blaupunkt Casablanca

CDA-9805 Alpine

Let me start by saying that specs can be very deceiving. Too many variables. I noticed neither of these units play MP3s. I am assuming you will want this option in the not too distant future. Here is the model I am looking at for my truck.

JVC RECEIVER KD-SX990 CD MP3 PLAYER

Crutchfield link

I chose this model because it is the only one in the price range that also had an auxilary input in case you want to listen to another source through your system. Like the four letter T word(Tape). Some media is only available on tape. You could also use it for the audio from a vcr or DVD. I have seen these brand new on ebay for under $150

WEll, looking at the MP3 ones, I found the Sony Xplod MP-40(or something like that, 219.99). I's face matches my interior, and the black matches the dash.  And it's got a lot of options. Check it out. I wasn't wanting a Sony, but this is a good deal.

Xplode are crap!  At least thats what my friend that installs them tells me :banghead:

He says hes always getting them returned.

Anyway, id go with a Pioneer MP3 capable deck.  Ive got the 8400 but there are less expensive ones like the 5600 i think.

Laying down the facts:

Sony cant make car stereo equipment, period.

Alpine is amazing and I have never had one complaint in the many years I have used them.

Blaupunkt is nothing special.  I would go with an Alpine hands down, if you have the cash.

speedshifter,GF7PE....I'm not trying to start anything but....

I took my Alpine apart about 8 years ago, (because it was crap) and everything inside it said "Sony". The stereo shop (at the time) told me that Sony made ALL of Alpines CD players.

I don't know about "all" of them, and it may not hold true anymore...But it did a few years back.

You never know. I have had good AND bad Alpines, as well as bad AND bad Sonys...But I have never tried the higher-end Sony stuff.

Based on my experience...generally you get what you pay for in electronics, if you pay for a $120 CD player, you lose quality and options over a $300 player. Regardless of brand. There are exeptions to every rule of course.

There is a point, that once you get past it....You start getting diminishing returns on your investment. I took a $400 Blau out, and put in an $800 Kenwood that didn't sound much better. But the $400 one was night and day over the $200 Pioneer that it replaced.

90 Silverado 350, I would go with Matthew4:19's advice...Get something with upgradeability (aux input), and definately with MP3 capability. Cant go wrong with those two options.

Just my 2 bucks worth.

-nut

Wingnut

Alpine used to make the old sonys thats why the sonys used to be good.  I had heard a while back that if you sent in your alpine to be repaired they would put the parts that said sony in the alpine unit because they made too many parts and the sony head units wernt selling.  thus, causing sony to start making their own.  This was quite some time ago so... I still stand by my alpine

p.s. did you ever send your hu back for repair?  might explain it

p.s. did you ever send your hu back for repair?  might explain it

Thanks for the info.

It spent more time in the shop than it spent in the truck. I had a Pioneer that was like that as well.

I have had two other Alpines, and two Pioneers as well. No problems with any of them.

Archived