Why so many keys?

ChevMech

As I've stated before, I'm a salesman on the used car end of a Chevrolet store in south Texas. My manager recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500. As I'm sure most of you know, you have that goofy looking key fab that you stick in the dash and use as a key. Inside of that fob is a hard key for the door. There is also a regular style key like they've had in generations past. I find this extremely odd considering Ford and GM trucks have a key and a fob....not combinations thereof.

I have not been able to find why this is, and I'm curious as to what the Chevy guys have to say about it?

Oh, and while we're at it, someone please explain the manly knob you use in place of a stick for shifting.

As I've stated before, I'm a salesman on the used car end of a Chevrolet store in south Texas. My manager recently purchased a 2014 Ram 1500. As I'm sure most of you know, you have that goofy looking key fab that you stick in the dash and use as a key. Inside of that fob is a hard key for the door. There is also a regular style key like they've had in generations past. I find this extremely odd considering Ford and GM trucks have a key and a fob....not combinations thereof.

I have not been able to find why this is, and I'm curious as to what the Chevy guys have to say about it?

Oh, and while we're at it, someone please explain the manly knob you use in place of a stick for shifting.

The goofy plastic fob is a relic of when Daimler owned Chrysler. Mercedes cars used to have the same part. The Ram came with a standard key that will also work in the ignition switch (I think) as well as the doors. No need to carry both- one is a spare. It makes as much sense as carrying both keys you got with your truck.

As for the rotary knob, I've driven a few Rams as rentals and it didn't bother me too much after a couple days in each but the Chrysler 200 I had this week for a rental used the same and it totally kicked my butt. Several times I'd back out of a spot and go into park instead of drive.

My Jeep is a traditional key with the remote on the head of it. So far I like the setup but once it warms up and I don't have a jacket pocket we'll see if it seems bulky in my pants pocket.

Imagine for a second, you enter a car wash that slowly pulls you along as you sit in neutral and foot off the brake and hand off the steering wheel. There is a car just a few seconds behind you being pulled thru the car wash at the same time. You get to the end of the car wash and you grab the knob to put it in drive as the pulling has stopped and you have nearly stopped also. The knob won't turn, the car behind you is getting closer and you think it is going to hit you because you can't shift out of neutral. Then you realize you have to have your foot brake applied to turn the knob so even though the car behind you is getting closer, you must stop and turn the knob to drive and quickly hit the gas to get out of their way.

I test drove a 14 Ram for a couple days and this is how I know how this knob works for a fact. If a person takes too long to figure the sequence out, the car behind you will hit you. I thought even though I didn't hate the knob, I did hate having to stop the truck to shift back into drive.

I prefer my trucks to have a shifter on the column. I could deal with it in the console but, a knob on the dash? That's good for head light control but not for shifting gears.

The goofy plastic fob is a relic of when Daimler owned Chrysler. Mercedes cars used to have the same part. The Ram came with a standard key that will also work in the ignition switch (I think) as well as the doors. No need to carry both- one is a spare. It makes as much sense as carrying both keys you got with your truck.

As for the rotary knob, I've driven a few Rams as rentals and it didn't bother me too much after a couple days in each but the Chrysler 200 I had this week for a rental used the same and it totally kicked my butt. Several times I'd back out of a spot and go into park instead of drive.

My Jeep is a traditional key with the remote on the head of it. So far I like the setup but once it warms up and I don't have a jacket pocket we'll see if it seems bulky in my pants pocket.

The fob has a key inside of it. Essentially you're carrying 2 keys at all times on top of what is actually used to start the truck. I've played with it. Unless there is something that I missed, both in the trucks and in the owner's manual, there's no way to start the truck with the traditional key...

I prefer my trucks to have a shifter on the column. I could deal with it in the console but, a knob on the dash? That's good for head light control but not for shifting gears.

For what it's worth, the only time there needs to be a shifter on the console/floor is when it's accompanied by an extra pedal....and, agreed, knobs are for headlights.

Weird. I thought the ignition could take a normal key as it has a slot at the base. Either way, there is no reason at all to carry the conventional key so the whole extra key thing is a moot point. It's just a spare for the door I guess.

The fob has a key inside of it. Essentially you're carrying 2 keys at all times on top of what is actually used to start the truck. I've played with it. Unless there is something that I missed, both in the trucks and in the owner's manual, there's no way to start the truck with the traditional key...

For what it's worth, the only time there needs to be a shifter on the console/floor is when it's accompanied by an extra pedal....and, agreed, knobs are for headlights.

I kinda like having it on the floor in my mazda 6 which is an automatic. I do miss switching my own gears but, I could never get the wife into it, since the car is mainly hers I got auto.

Archived