New guy, taking a chance I swore I'd never take

volrus

Well, I swore I would never buy another GM product after they took the bail out money, but here I am one day after buying a 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 LT. I'm giving GM a chance, I hope the build quality doesn't let me down. I've heard great things about the truck and I REALLY fell in love with the styling of the new models last year. I really love it! The one thing that scares me is that I'm hearing on another forum that people are having to have their entire AC units rebuilt after only 500 miles! Hopefully I can avoid that mess lol.

Anyway, my truck is a black LT with the LT1 and LT Plus package (adjustable pedals, heated seats, rear window defrost, rear park assist, universal home remote), trailering package, integrated trailer brake control, perimeter LED bed lighting, and 18" bridge machined wheels.

I have over 13,000 on my LT with no problems. The only problem it did have was just because the trans was in learn mode. It would shift hard from 1st to 2nd, but after a couple thousand miles it started to do normal and still shifts smooth. The only time it's been in service at the dealer was the oil change and tire rotation. I normally do the easy stuff myself, but I figure I paid for the 2 year maintenance so I might as well use it and I trust this dealership.

You can't go buy forums on how many have problems and how many don't. Some people go to a forum to look for answers if they are having a problem. Think about it, look at the units sold and then how many you actually read about that have problems. It's a very small fraction of a % that have issues. Too be honest, there's still more of these trucks with vibration issues, but again it's still a small fraction of a % that has this issue.

You do realize that GM wasn't the only one to take bail out money? Ford and Chrysler both accepted money as well, and Chrysler is now majority foreign owned.

Most Asian car makers are subsidized in one way or another by their governments as well.

That being said, it's not that big of a deal. Buy what you like, all these manufactures make vehicles that are light years ahead of what was out 10 or 20 years ago.

Actually Ford technically didn't take bailout money, they took low interest loans similar to student loans. Regardless, I've always been a Toyota guy who didn't take any bailout or loans from the US government. Doesn't matter, I'm putting my faith in GM because I live in a GM town and love the new look of the Silverado. Hope they can prove me right that GM has turned a corner and can now produce quality vehicles that compete with the Japanese brands in quality and reliability.

Actually Ford technically didn't take bailout money, they took low interest loans similar to student loans. Regardless, I've always been a Toyota guy who didn't take any bailout or loans from the US government. Doesn't matter, I'm putting my faith in GM because I live in a GM town and love the new look of the Silverado. Hope they can prove me right that GM has turned a corner and can now produce quality vehicles that compete with the Japanese brands in quality and reliability.

I believe Toyota also took bailout money but since they're Corp office is in Japan they did it with Japan's government. I do respect Ford for not taking bailout money, but they did basically mortgage all of their assets including the Ford blue oval emblem itself. Plus not taking bailout doesn't = better quality. Too many people seem to think they're together when it's not. I honestly think GM is in a better place than it was. I also think the 5th gen Camaro helped a lot, not by itself but a lot in my opinion.

I believe Toyota also took bailout money but since they're Corp office is in Japan they did it with Japan's government. I do respect Ford for not taking bailout money, but they did basically mortgage all of their assets including the Ford blue oval emblem itself. Plus not taking bailout doesn't = better quality. Too many people seem to think they're together when it's not. I honestly think GM is in a better place than it was. I also think the 5th gen Camaro helped a lot, not by itself but a lot in my opinion.

Yes, I realize it doesn't = quality, it was just more of a personal issue of mine. The reality is GM during that time couldn't touch Toyota and Honda on quality and add that to the bailout, I was just pissed off and quite honestly thought they should be allowed to go under. Another issue I have is unions, I felt they were very much responsible for the bankruptcy, but that's whole other discussion lol. The good thing is now they are blowing Toyota out of the water in the full size truck segment and this is a big part of why I'm giving it a shot (that plus I love the design). I will still own Toyota's (my wife has a Sienna) because 1) they are basically American made and 2) their quality is still top notch, but the Tundra is crap right now lol. For now, I'm a Chevy guy!

Yes, I realize it doesn't = quality, it was just more of a personal issue of mine. The reality is GM during that time couldn't touch Toyota and Honda on quality and add that to the bailout, I was just pissed off and quite honestly thought they should be allowed to go under. Another issue I have is unions, I felt they were very much responsible for the bankruptcy, but that's whole other discussion lol. The good thing is now they are blowing Toyota out of the water in the full size truck segment and this is a big part of why I'm giving it a shot (that plus I love the design). I will still own Toyota's (my wife has a Sienna) because 1) they are basically American made and 2) their quality is still top notch, but the Tundra is crap right now lol. For now, I'm a Chevy guy!

I'm more open minded than I used to be. I really have nothing against Toyota or Nissan. I know both are really good small trucks new or old but especially old. Seems like around here Toyota and Nissan are the top trucks to get for hunting trucks. Even though I'm a V8 muscle car guy I do respect the cars like the Supra and Skyline. I just still won't ever have my name on the title to an import, I'm open minded but not that open minded lol. The only car from them 2 I don't like is of course the Prius. Anytime I pass one I gun it (Flowmaster Super 44) so they hear me hurt the environment lol. I'm diehard Chevy but more than anything I'm diehard domestic so I like all of the "big 3". I can't stand Honda though.

Welcome to the group Brad, congrats on the new truck. I love mine and after one year, it has been problem free.

Thanks Steve! Looking forward to it. I'm just happy to have something I can use to make trips to the trash dump again without even thinking about it!

I'm more open minded than I used to be. I really have nothing against Toyota or Nissan. I know both are really good small trucks new or old but especially old. Seems like around here Toyota and Nissan are the top trucks to get for hunting trucks. Even though I'm a V8 muscle car guy I do respect the cars like the Supra and Skyline. I just still won't ever have my name on the title to an import, I'm open minded but not that open minded lol. The only car from them 2 I don't like is of course the Prius. Anytime I pass one I gun it (Flowmaster Super 44) so they hear me hurt the environment lol. I'm diehard Chevy but more than anything I'm diehard domestic so I like all of the "big 3". I can't stand Honda though.

You are my kind of guy, no doubt about where you stand lol! I wish more folks were like you!

Archived